Mangini's press conf today | Barking Hard

Mangini's press conf today

OconRecon

If you're juiceless, you're useless
Awards
Transcript: Eric Mangini, 11/17 | Orange and Brown Blogs
Tue, Nov 17 2009 at 8:26 pm

(Opening statement)- “Looking at the tape, there are some things that I saw, defensively, that I really liked. I thought that especially on third down, we did some really positive things against a group that’s been very effective throughout the course of the season on third down. I thought that the disguise for the most part was good, which is important, because as (Joe) Flacco has matured, I think he does a better and better job of getting them into the right plays based on the coverage. Really, outside of a couple plays, I thought overall the effort was sound. On special teams, it wasn’t our best game. I think that we could have done a lot more in the return game than we did. They have a pretty good unit as well, which we knew and which they had shown the first time we played them. Offensively, going to the no huddle I think helped us, especially in the first half, getting some of the penalties that we got, being able to get some of the matchups that we got. Even though there were some positive drives, we just really couldn’t sustain them. Coming out at halftime, I thought that we had a good approach moving forward. We talked about the importance of protecting the ball, especially early. We were blown coverage and then with the interception, the game turned pretty dramatically. That is kind of the recap after watching the tape.”

(On if he has spoken to Joshua Cribbs)- “Yes, I talked to Josh for a while today. Everything yesterday, really after the hit, what they wanted to do is just make sure that everything was okay. I think Josh felt like he could have gotten up at that point, but he didn’t want to disregard what the medical people were saying and I wouldn’t want him to do that. They brought him in, they did the testing. He’s moving around fine today, a little stiff and tired. In typical Josh style, [he is] focused on Detroit.”

(On why Cribbs was on the field for the final play)- “With those situations, it was a competitive moment. I would like to think in retrospect I probably would do it differently if I had to do it again. It was competitive. I thought Josh [could] make something happen there. You don’t want anybody to get hurt on any play.”

(On the offensive play against Baltimore)- “I think that as you look at the first half, one of the things that it did do, we got the two 12 men on the field penalties. There was quite a bit of substitution, confusion that they had. I thought that we did have some movement and some things that we weren’t able to do any of in the first game against Baltimore, which is a pretty good defense. Like I said, Jeff (Schudel), it’s a function of not being able to sustain the drives. We got into some third-and-shorts, which is what you’re looking for. [They have] a much higher rate of conversion. Really to me, it came down to the turnovers at the start of the second half.”

(On if the lateral on the last play was the play that was called)- “It was more of a catch-and-run type play with them sitting as soft as they were. Josh sort of improvised at the end there, flipping it to Robert (Royal). Looking at the defender coming back, I think he just turned and pursued. I’m not sure whether he realized Josh had the ball or not.”

(On if the hit on Cribbs seemed dirty to him)- “That would be a better question for him. I could see from the tape, he did turn and pursue and was looking for the ball. It wasn’t a lot of time between the flip and contact. It’s hard to say that. Really, that’s a better question for him.”

(On what he would do differently on the last play)- “I don’t know, hand the ball off. [There] are not that many choices. You either throw it or hand it off.”

(On if the last play call was Brian Daboll’s decision or his)- “I think we were trying to move the football. It wasn’t a function of Brian’s decision or my decision. We were trying to move the football.”

(On if Josh Cribbs had a concussion)- “No.”

(On why he would not kneel down at the end of the game)- “Like I said, it’s competitive, so you don’t kneel down at the end of the game. It’s not traditionally done.”

(On Brady Quinn’s hit on Terrell Suggs)- “It’s probably a lot like the other play. It looked like Terrell was coming to block him and Brady was trying to make the tackle and he tried to cut through. I don’t think Brady had any intention of hurting someone. It’s not anything that we teach or we believe in or anything that I’ve ever known Brady to believe in. I take Brady at his word. In looking at the tape, that was a potential blocker in there and he was trying to get through and make the tackle.”

(On if he saw anything positive in Quinn’s performance)- “Yes, I thought there were some good things throughout, especially the first half, where we got some off-coverage; he was able to take advantage of that. [We were] outnumbered in the box a few times, he was able to take advantage of that. I thought he executed the no huddle offense well. There were a lot of different personnel groups coming in and it out and it’s his job to get them lined up and be aware of the play clock, be aware of the protection, be aware of the fronts. There’s a lot of information that he was processing. That’s something we had been working on. [We] really didn’t have very many pre-snap penalties; more than I would have liked. I think we needed up with two.”

(On if Quinn will start at Detroit)- “Yes.”

(On why they did not take shots down the field early in the game)- “Some of it’s a function of the guy being open. Some of it’s a function of protection. It’s not like we didn’t have vertical routes called. You don’t want to force it in somewhere just to force it in somewhere. You also have to hold up in protection to get those plays down the field. That’s a good front seven. [They] brought a lot of different pressure packages, which is not surprising from them.”

(On what he thinks about the NFLPA questioning players about his practice regime)- “I haven’t really thought about it very much. Like I said last week, I’m comfortable with how much we practice, with our schedule, with our routine. I’m focused on getting ready for next week.”

(On if he is concerned about the team heading in the wrong direction)- “Like I said, the union can come in and take a look at whatever they want to look at. There is nothing being hidden here. That’s not the case. There’s transparency. We practice the amount of time I told you that we practice. I don’t think it’s different than a lot of other teams and I’m sure it’s less than some teams. I’m comfortable with exactly where we’re at.”

(On why players would say they practice three and a half hours)- “I don’t know, Mary Kay (Cabot). Somebody told Adam Schefter that we did something wrong with James Davis.”

(On the touchdown run by Ray Rice in which the Browns had 10 men on the field)- “They had hit the big play and we have a certain red area group that we wanted to get on. [We] started to get that group on, thought that we had gotten the people on that we wanted to get on and they went hurry up and caught us not set the way we need to be set. I didn’t realize that we didn’t have what we needed to have quickly enough to call the timeout.”

(On if the pressure on Quinn was a function of Baltimore’s defense or the Browns’ offensive line)- “I think their front seven is pretty good. I think they also do a really nice job of bringing different blitz packages. They’re 12th in the league in sacks. They get pressure against pretty much everybody they play. They got pressure against us in the first game. It’s a difficult group to block and it’s a difficult group to block with the combinations that they bring. We knew it was going to be challenging going in. It was challenging throughout the game. I thought there were a lot of times where we handled it well, either with Brady recalling the protection or using some of the other options that he had. I didn’t feel like we executed our screens as well as they could have been executed. I thought we had some real opportunities on the screen game and didn’t get much done there. That’s a way to slow down the pass rush.”

(On what he says to fans who think this team is headed in the wrong direction)- “I’d say that, just like they’re frustrated, we’re frustrated as a coaching staff and as players. We take responsibility for improving it. That’s something that we continue to work at. It’s not something that anybody is happy about or satisfied about. We’re going to continue to fix it and improve. That’s a commitment. I don’t think that anything that’s worthwhile happens easily or quickly; it takes time. I’ve said that before. I’ve been a part of this before. It’s not easy. It’s not always without frustration or difficulties, but you have to commit to improving and that’s something that I can tell you we’re firmly committed to.”

(On if he took any short cuts his first year with the Jets that he wishes he hadn’t done)- “No, I don’t think it was function of taking short cuts at all. Sometimes things bounce a little bit better each year. I think that as a group, that group worked really hard, just like this group has worked really hard. I think that we were able to do some things maybe a little bit more efficiently earlier there, but that’s not because we took a radically different approach. It was consistent. I’d say that the amount of time that we worked there on the field, whether it be during training camp or at practice was comparable, if not greater. You adjust as you go and you learn as you go and you try to put together the most efficient plan. There were some games the next year, where I really thought were winnable games. We had five games that next year, I think it was five, where we lost by a total of 25 or 27 points. Those were all close games. You just keep working at it. We made a lot of progress moving into the third year. We just weren’t able to close the season out like we wanted to close the season out. We had some things that happened that slowed that down, but I didn’t feel like we were on the wrong track at that point either.”

(On if he has ever been in a situation, record-wise, like this and if he thought they would be at this point after nine games)- “I didn’t go in with an expectation of being at any given record. My expectation is to improve and that’s what I’m always looking for. I don’t know what our record was in New England at this point in the season, but I know there were struggles there, struggles in all three phases there, but that’s usually the case. Throughout every season you go through ups and downs and periods of growth. You’re looking for those periods of growth to be as consistent as possible.”

(On if either of the interceptions by the Ravens should have been caught by the Browns)- “I think they both would have been challenging catches. I think they both had a chance to be caught. It could have gone either way. I would have liked the ball to be thrown better. I would have liked the catch to be made. The worst case scenario is to have the ball batted up. Nothing good ever happens from that.”

(On if he thinks Josh Cribbs will play on Sunday)- “I have to see where we are, Jeff (Schudel), as we move through the week. I’m optimistic with all our guys.”

(On if he thinks Dave Zastudil will play on Sunday)- “I’d say with both him and Steve (Heiden), we’re just going to have to see.”

Last edited:
He's definitely more loquacious than RAC.....and says about the same amount as well.

He might as well shrug his shoulders and say "It's a process" 20 times and we'd get the same gist...

If we can get a better offensive gameplan, I really liked our no-huddle O last night. Showed some promise. Quinn seemed to manage it well even when the game was out of reach. So I agree with EM on that front.

Imagine if we could execute some big plays & maybe score a TD while using the no huddle. We'd be having an entirely different season right now. Hell, despite nothing on the scoreboard to show for it, it kept us in the 1st half (in addition to the dominating display from our defense).

That's about as much spin as you can get.

He would have some credibility if he said "we sucked on offense and we have to get better and I not going to come in here and insult your intelligence with some horseshit excuses".

Top Bottom