Technology Thoughts | Barking Hard

Technology Thoughts

Chuck Brown

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the way technology is advancing today. I don't have a link but I know Tesla is developing a car that will drive on its own. To me I'd have no interest in owning it. One of my favorite things is driving when nobody's on the road. If I had the time and money I'd buy an old Pontiac and work on it. While everyone else would be adjusting to not driving I'd still be interested in learning a stick shift. Lol kinda shows the kind of guy I am. I did enjoy the basement to the Cleveland History Museum that showcased all sorts of old cars/motorcycles.

I'm in my 30's and I'm one of the last high school classes that didn't yet overall rely on technology/computers in school. Cell phones were just starting to come into their own in the early 2000s. Now I believe cursive handwriting isn't being taught to students anymore? On top of that I heard somewhere testing is being done on dogs to insert chips into them that can program into an ap all their vital signs. Eventually maybe this will land its way to humans.

To me all this technology stuff just seems creepy. I mean how lazy can you get that you need food delivered to your house right in your refrigerator? At the same time though I don't totally poo poo this stuff. I've read back in the 80s when cell phones were being introduced most people responded they thought it was unnecessary. I can still remember vaguely when the concept of the Blackberry was being introduced where you can read your email on your phone. Back then I and most people I know reacted how freaking busy can you possibly be? But hey things change and I get that as well.

So yeah in a nutshell I do think some technology advances just seem downright creepy but it's not to say I can't get used to them.

Thoughts?

Technology moves faster than we can adapt to it.
It is true they don’t teach cursive writing and when I have brought that up
People have so what?, How in the world can you sign your own name!
It’s sad,I’ve been to the Caribbean many times and everyone in hotel lobbies have there faces in there phones.
I support what we have achieved in science and technology I remember in fourth grade science
Our teacher told us the text books we were reading were already dated and science moves so fast it’s incredible.
I have a family member who is a doctor who’s field is in the research and development of cures and causes while also heading the nurse practitioners in a major hospital and she constantly has to take courses to keep up, very proud and happy for that person.

I have a friend who is into computers and servers and handling people’s business and is constantly worried about security and the internet and being watched by our government.
Tech is scary but really cool at the same time I’m not to old to learn but I’m more of the thinking that it’s up to students and people who work in those fields.
Self driving cars and trucks aren’t going to happen for atleast another decade,I know there testing it now but it’s along way from becoming an option or standard equipment.
During the sixties General Motors produced one thousand vehicles with air bags and couldn’t sell them because people were afraid of the technology rather than security.
Good topic!
It’s an ever evolving world.

Tesla's cars already drive themselves. Have for years. You can even summon them. It's more of an autopilot at the moment, but fully autonomous is coming by year's end.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...any-are-worried-about-what-that-will-unleash/

My buddy claims it'll one day keep his kids from putting him in the nursing home. He plans to walk into his garage and just yell "car, take me to the bar", then "car, take me home".

Ever watch Black Mirror? The episodes aren't connected, but the show has a common theme, which is basically "how technology can fuck things up 20 years from now". It's weird, but good.

Tesla's cars already drive themselves. Have for years. You can even summon them. It's more of an autopilot at the moment, but fully autonomous is coming by year's end.

My buddy claims it'll one day keep his kids from putting him in the nursing home. He plans to walk into his garage and just yell "car, take me to the bar", then "car, take me home".

Ever watch Black Mirror? The episodes aren't connected, but the show has a common theme, which is basically "how technology can fuck things up 20 years from now". It's weird, but good.

Well if a car can drive itself to the bar and drive you home there goes all of that DUI money the states and lawyers love.
Might have to throw a “few”coins Tesla’s way!

So CVS by me started installing the self checkouts like many food stores have. You know being I'm not one that's much of a talker and doesn't like waiting in line I can appreciate this. On the other hand though it takes jobs away. I know I have one friend whose a little older than me and starting her working career as a cashier at WallMart. She said it gave her a solid foundation for the working world and thus usually will not use the automatic scanner things. To support cashier jobs kind of thing.

I guess this imo just shows the pros and cons of that sort of thing like all else with advanced technology. On the other hand though are kids as eager to take jobs like that as they used to be?

No.
Stores are trying like hell to hire people.

People want to be hired as a boss and prefer not to actually have to work.

Trades are experiencing shortages also for drug free apprentices.

Be interesting when the dust settles from the coronavirus how things might change technology wise. All kids now are getting their instructions on line. People working from home. Tours of homes/apartments for sale being done virtually.

I mean are kids gonna wanna go back to school? Is this starting another new wave of more anti-people behavior?

Coronavirus will come and go. I'm not so sure about where were going technology wise though. I have this feeling society is going to be even more geared to that and less so social stuff. Or as we say now social distancing with all this going on

Top Bottom