Are there any real solutions to Homeless epidemic? | Barking Hard

Are there any real solutions to Homeless epidemic?

hammertime

Administrator
Awards
This thread is for new and old ideas on helping and or treating the homeless situation.

Many lessons have been learned throughout history and being homeless surely is not a new dilemma.

If resources were available can you meaning anyone who wants to respond think of a viable plan worth trying?

This is not a political thread unless your idea or solution needs some clarification. This is not a debate or argument.

This can be a religious issue if someone wants to go there.

Total abstinence from drugs seems like a starting point but has been debunked by folks showing moderation once stable. I feel like a certain period of abstinence is needed to be able to accept help and learn.

What are positions or jobs that people in recovery can usually get hired in?

Affordable housing would be dedicated for the lower income jobs specifically reserved for folks who want and need and are eligible.

Enough from me, chime in.

Personally, I don't think the issue is a solution. We know a viable solution with proven positive impact. It's a mixture of having full access to available housing, health services, therapy and counselling & employment services.

The issue is cost. It's an expensive endeavour, and the cost isn't fully covered by the economic impact of getting people back on their feet and in to a position in which they become taxpaying contributors as opposed to, with all due respect and compassion, their current circumstance.

Of course, that's my opinion, but I think the best solution is focusing on ways to lessen the economic impact of implementing these services.

To go far out on a limb, I think part of it could be solved with greater vision. Here in Australia, we have an endless stream of television shows regarding homebuilding and renovation.

One that really rubs me up the wrong way is The Block. It's a show that has run for 15 seasons and it's essentially glorified gentrification. Taking run down houses and apartments, building them up and selling them off. The contestants, who get to keep the profit, has pocketed over $20M. The show itself is sustained by high viewership and sponsorship that includes direct money and much of the materials/tools used in the renovation process.

I wish we lived in a society that would do away with that. I'd love a television program that focused on redeveloping derelict apartment buildings to instead be utilized in solving the homeless issues we have in major cities. Viewership and sponsorship would keep the costs to a minimum, and taxpayer dollars could instead focus on costs mentioned on solution - health services, therapy/counselling, employment services.

People get back on their feet initially, get a roof over their heads, become eligible for social services and have an opportunity to get back on their feet sustainably.

Perhaps that's a little too Hollywood - we have tens of thousands of young Australians who are being trained as tradesmen/women. As part of their education, they typically do part time with an educational institute and part time with a business in which they get hands on experience. While that's a great help for many business owners, I think there is real potential there for utilizing the need for practical experience by assisting in government projects to create housing opportunities.

As an example, my internships for my journalist degree were spent with a local newspaper and our public broadcaster in radio. While the newspaper was commercial media, I loved the idea of getting to directly contribute to our public broadcaster. I didn't get paid a cent of taxpayer dollars, but I did generate content and assist take the pressure off the journalists there. Win-win for all involved.

Those are out there, and the best bet is likely the government sucking it up and finding ways to allocate the necessary funding in conjunction with funding from NPOs, sponsorships and direct community efforts.

Personally, I think it is worthwhile. Like Hammer mentioned, we've got people shitting on the fucking streets. Making investments in to services available to the public shouldn't always focus on the recuperation of the initial investment. Some things are bigger than that. This is especially true when we're talking about efforts to assist our most vulnerable and struggling citizens.

You're only as strong as your weakest link. Until we find ways of elevating everyone, we're all going to be dragged down. Fuck the costs. I care about the impact on the intrinsic value of human life. Knowing that people can fall through the cracks in prosperous, developed nations like ours just doesn't sit well with me.

Edit - Grr, bunch of little spelling errors because I've got one eye on the TV. Apologies.

Our (the collective Our/we) homeless problem started with the burst of the "housing bubble) in 2008 and ramped up throughout 2008 - 2016

Even with more people working / unemployment down there is still a homeless problem.

As our population expands through illegal immigration I forsee the amount of homeless growng as well. Part of this is just simple statistics. Some is using up available resources.

Even in the land of Plenty the resources are fixed or limited.

Great start BDU. Thanks.

Your ideas would definitely work for a good number of the homeless.

Seems there are different categories of homeless we’d have to figure for.

Even with all the money in the world there is gonna be the ones we cant reach. If there is someone who doesn’t want help and is determined to stay homeless where should they sleep at night?

It’s tricky because as they say us Americans are the best con artists ever lol.

Obama

I covered the hobo thingy...lol
in far less words.

So now it's all on Obama ?

But seriously... look at all those Gov programs and it only gets worse. just like most things they get involved with... Go Figure

How many Gov employees are there in those programs ? they ain't homeless guess that's a Win

Globalization

There are so many bricks in the wall here. 2 of them.
bad trade deals = Globalization
10- 20 million illegals in here
both of these have drove down wages for 45 years now. making the bottom so bad. What I do know is minimum wage in 1971 a single person could live on. = food, housing & a bus pass. a few beers

Top Bottom