Peter King says Holmgren offer is coming soon | Page 3 | Barking Hard

Peter King says Holmgren offer is coming soon

How long is the contract between the NFL and ESPN to carry the MNF games? Don't they have to 'compete' against the other networks to get that gig?

Doesn't really matter. I think Gruden signing this contract does mean he isn't interested in being on the field again.

Besides, just because we can't get him, so what??? We still don't know who might be available after the season is over.

If Holmgren comes in as VP and hires his GM and they work with Mangini for a couple of weeks THEN make a decision (interview who may be available)...isn't that better than writing off the whole scenario because one guy (the preferred HC) ISN'T available???

If Gruden isn't available we shouldn't be disappointed. Deciding he should be the next HC when we STILL don't have a VP/GM is just doing what we did before...'hiring' the coach before the rest of the staff.

Again, I'm almost positive Gruden will have a head coaching out.

And yes, Lerner will throw big money and a lot of power at a guy to run his organization for him. If you want that gig (and Holmgren probably does), you won't get it with a winning team. You'll get it with a team looking to be fixed.

When asked, Accorsi couldn't say no quick enough.

When linked to the Job, Gruden imediately signs and extension with ESPN with an "expanding role."

Starting to see a pattern?

I'm sorry if I don't have the unw.avering belief that most of you do that all it's going to take is the right magical name to change things around here.

and I 100% don't trust Lerner to get that name here.

And I still feel that Lerner wants to "salvage" Mangini thinking he is a good coach getting a bad rap.

Again. I am hope I am wrong.

I'm also tired of "hoping" the next guy will get it right. So I've decided to go negative, and then be pleasantly suprised when some day things actually go right....

When asked, Accorsi couldn't say no quick enough.

When linked to the Job, Gruden imediately signs and extension with ESPN with an "expanding role."

Starting to see a pattern?

I'm sorry if I don't have the unw.avering belief that most of you do that all it's going to take is the right magical name to change things around here.

and I 100% don't trust Lerner to get that name here.

And I still feel that Lerner wants to "salvage" Mangini thinking he is a good coach getting a bad rap.

Again. I am hope I am wrong.

I'm also tired of "hoping" the next guy will get it right. So I've decided to go negative, and then be pleasantly suprised when some day things actually go right....

lol...I think there may be several reasons Accorsi is saying "no" so much. Maybe there hasn't been enough $$$ laid out for him. Maybe he really doesn't want to be 'that guy'. Maybe he's waiting to see how things play out.

I agree with you on Gruden, but don't really care about him not being available (see my post above) and I also agree with you about 'salvaging' Mangini. Not necessarily because he wants to but because he might have to (depending on the contract issues).

It is quite possible that Mangini's plan IS exactly what we need, what Lerner believes in, and what will bring a better culture to Cleveland. Problem is the only ones who know what it is are Lerner and Mangini.

Another scary thought...what if Lerner is only looking for the VP who will AGREE that Mangini's plan will work. :eek:bugeyes

Bottom line, I'm kinda where you are. Expecting the worst so when it happens I won't be devastated.

Again, I'm almost positive Gruden will have a head coaching out...

Hey Shep, is this a standard out, or are you surmising this based on Gruden's comments about his desire to return to coaching?

I can't recall contract conditions for recent guys who went from the booth to the sidelines.

It is quite possible that Mangini's plan IS exactly what we need, what Lerner believes in, and what will bring a better culture to Cleveland. Problem is the only ones who know what it is are Lerner and Mangini.

Another scary thought...what if Lerner is only looking for the VP who will AGREE that Mangini's plan will work. :eek:bugeyes

Bottom line, I'm kinda where you are. Expecting the worst so when it happens I won't be devastated.

THIS is exactly my point. I think Mangini convince Lerner when he hired him that this is what was needed. A total breakdown of the team and the players. Heck he probably even told Lerner that there would be a lot of unhappiness until his "process" played out.

Now, was Lerner like the rest of us upset that it looks SO BAD in the interim? Yeah I am sure he is. And he felt he had to do SOMETHING. SO firing Kok and talking about hiring a "real footbal guy" is what he did.

But he was "reacting" not going on a plan....which is why you see this not exactly coming together quickly.

But to fire Mangini means that Lerner will have to 100% admit he has ABSOLUTELY no clue what he is doing when it comes to the NFL. And unless he gets a HUGE name in here as VP, I don't see him admiting that. The Huge name could do it, because they have that kind of clout.

But I haven't seen one huge name sound excited to even be considered.

Hey Shep, is this a standard out, or are you surmising this based on Gruden's comments about his desire to return to coaching?

I can't recall contract conditions for recent guys who went from the booth to the sidelines.

Not a "standard out" but I wouldn't be suprised if Gruden didn't have some kind of language in there myself. I just don't think he'll use that language to come to the Browns so soon after signing it.

Now, was Lerner like the rest of us upset that it looks SO BAD in the interim? Yeah I am sure he is. And he felt he had to do SOMETHING. SO firing Kok and talking about hiring a "real footbal guy" is what he did.

I really believe the firing of Kokinis was a timing coincidence. It was just too weird that Erin O'Brien quit and a week later Kokinis was fired. I think there was something more to that whole story than will ever be known in public.

That whole situation is going to be just like a very very ugly divorce.

Yeah, I've read over and over about "outs" in media contract, and Gruden is only 46. I find it hard to believe that he would commit to NOT coaching for any significant period of time.

He's hardly the only guy out there. Again, I think Holmgren would look hard at someone like him, a WCO guru type. I think he'll look for a coach who can communicate (we've had two in a row who couldn't, in very different was) and not become a human target.

Yeah, I've read over and over about "outs" in media contracts, and Gruden is only 46. I find it hard to believe that he would commit to NOT coaching for any significant period of time.

He's hardly the only guy out there. Again, I think Holmgren would look hard at someone like him, a WCO guru type. I think he'll look for a coach who can communicate (we've had two in a row who couldn't, in very different was) and not become a human target.

If you're gonna be liked, also be strong. If you're gonna be tough, also be direct and not so overtly loathsome.

The number one priority for this organization is to get a person to head football operations with full say. I don't think it really is about who is or isn't available as a HC. You need a man with football sense and knowledge leading this organization. You move on from there. The problem is that Lerner has admitted he isn't qualified to run the football operation.

Accorsi is a family friend and very close to Lerner. I couldn't believe that Lerner would not lean on him for help in this situation. Lerner ignored his advice and hired Mangini before a GM last year and I would hope he really has learned from that. Who really knows.

Even though Accorsi has supposedly said "NO" I could see him coming in as an advisor to get the football side of this organization moving in the right direction. I also could see him telling Lerner to go offer the job to Holmgren or McKay and let them run with the ball. Both are well respected and have a lot of contacts throughout the league. I could also see Accorsi coming in and mentoring Bernie..............There are a lot ofoptions so even if Holmgren says "no thanks" it wouldn't be time to punt.

Here is why I say wait and interview the candidates.. Lerner jumped the gun and hired Mangini before several other excellent candidates were available. If we wait unil after the season we may also see several other candidates surface.. What are they really going to change about this season anyway.. We may end up jumping the gun and miss out on something better.. Why in such a hurry?

Here is why I say wait and interview the candidates.. Lerner jumped the gun and hired Mangini before several other excellent candidates were available. If we wait unil after the season we may also see several other candidates surface.. What are they really going to change about this season anyway.. We may end up jumping the gun and miss out on something better.. Why in such a hurry?

Normally, I would say wait, but this is an organization without direction. Not many Presidents or Vice Presidents will come available after the season. I say put the man in change of football operations in place and let him sit and digest the organization. He may want to wait until after the season to get his GM in. but, in the meantime he can be looking at Mangini and current staff members and making a decision on their future.

It also keeps Mangini from adding and/or subtracting personnel without a watch dog. We have plenty of Jets and special teams players.

So, I'd say add your football guru but no hurry on the GM or coach.

Normally, I would say wait, but this is an organization without direction. Not many Presidents or Vice Presidents will come available after the season. I say put the man in change of football operations in place and let him sit and digest the organization. He may want to wait until after the season to get his GM in. but, in the meantime he can be looking at Mangini and current staff members and making a decision on their future.

It also keeps Mangini from adding and/or subtracting personnel without a watch dog. We have plenty of Jets and special teams players.

So, I'd say add your football guru but no hurry on the GM or coach.

'Zackly!!! thumbup

Sounds like something's about to happen:

Jim Brown: Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner meeting with top football mind

At a luncheon this afternoon, Jim Brown, who holds the title of executive advisor with the club, said that Lerner was interviewing somebody to turn around the Browns' fortunes.

"At this moment, right now Randy Lerner is meeting with one of the great football minds in this country," Brown said in remarks prior to and during the luncheon. "And if things work out, that person will come in to run the football side of the Browns."

Brown would not disclose who it was. When somebody asked if it was Mike Holmgren, Brown responded coyly, "You said it ... and I heard it."

Alo, you know I love you and I love your links.

But that was the least useful link I think I've ever seen. "Meets with a top football mind."

famousperson.jpg

On second thought, Famous Person beats out your link.

Hopefully this is why Mangini didn't hold a presser today. Hopefully Lerner handcuffed him.

It would feel like August all over again if Mangini and Ddohbs were gone tomorrow/this week.

Top Bottom