Pick #4 Denzel Ward | Page 3 |

Pick #4 Denzel Ward

Hindsight being everything would have loved Chubb at 4 and Jackson tomorrow but a lot of teams went far from where the "experts" thought they were going so who knows how it would have played out.

Can't complain, though. We got the #1 corner and he's a Buckeye. OSU has been putting out some decent pros of late so here's hoping Ward keeps it going.
 
It's like you guys forgot just how bad our defense was last year.


Agree. Last year, the book on us was easy.

We stopped the run and we had Myles Garrett, but our coverage was weak.
So what'd OC's do? Got the ball out in league leading time when playing the Browns, because we couldn't cover anyone. Mike Jordan started for cripes sake by the end of the season.

Ward is a great story. Best corner in the draft. A NE Ohio kid. An Ohio State kid. Nearly everyone had him as a top-10 big board player.

And compared to other first round reaches (cough, cough, ... Steelers), this wasn't a reach at all, imo.
 
Agree. Last year, the book on us was easy.

We stopped the run and we had Myles Garrett, but our coverage was weak.
So what'd OC's do? Got the ball out in league leading time when playing the Browns, because we couldn't cover anyone. Mike Jordan started for cripes sake by the end of the season.

Ward is a great story. Best corner in the draft. A NE Ohio kid. An Ohio State kid. Nearly everyone had him as a top-10 big board player.

And compared to other first round reaches (cough, cough, ... Steelers), this wasn't a reach at all, imo.

Exactly! This pick strikes me as the kind we "wish we would have..." made in previous years but it's derided this year.

Only in Cleveland lmao. We are incapable of being pleased by this team.
 
-Addresses one of our biggest needs
-Physical Cover corner
-Excellent Instincts
-Considered a great tackler
-And we actually draft an tOSU kid for the homers :P

It's like you guys forgot just how bad our defense was last year. Stopping the run was pretty much the only thing we were okay at last year. Our secondary was atrocious, teams moved the ball at will. He's a bit small but that's like the only knock on this kid.

anyone that compares this kid to justin gilbert needs to be banned. Gilbert had measurables but was a crempuff off coverage corner.

this guy is from the new CB University where they play 0 coverage all the time and this guy has battled 1 on 1 in the receivers face since he got to OSU.
 
Wouldn't mind another corner, the defense stopped the run when we were behind already. We were losing because qbs could throw the ball at will until a lead was secured.
Add some pass defenders and someone (somethree) who can throw a ball and there should be a win on the horizon.
 
While getting Chubb or Derwin James wouldve been nice... I'm glad we drafted a top rated corner.. You can slide Randall to FS you got gerbil where he needs to be now...

Agreed. Now I want to see what Peppers can do/be in his natural SS/LB role, protecting the edge, rather than defending the parking lot.

What Dorsey did in selecting Ward explains why he gave EJ Gaines only a 1-year deal.

I'd love to see Josh Jackson or Isaiah Oliver on this team. But I think the Browns go WR (Sutton), RB (Guice) and OT (Williams, Okorafor, Crosby, Brown) in round two. I hope the Browns use one of their four later round picks to move up in the second.
 
As someone mentioned...this moves Peppers into his SS/LB hybrid slot. It also allows the Browns to play man to man. Further, with Peppers and Randall the S's, it means in nickel and dime situations every single player in the backfield not only can, but HAS played CB. That gives this secondary some pretty amazing flexibility and will allow GGG to get inventive.

The pick also says a lot about Ogbah and Nassib and how GGG sees them. He obviously is more than willing to go into the season with them opposite Garrett. Keep in mind that those 3 are all around 275 and could easily have one of them drop into the 3 tech on passing downs...and we also have Meder as a run stopper and don't count out Brantley as a solid 3 tech option as well.
 
The pick also says a lot about Ogbah and Nassib and how GGG sees them.
Maybe.

It may say nothing about how he sees them other than they saw the greater need being outside corner.

I like both guys (Ogbah and Nassib) but am not willing to say either is a pass rushing solution as yet. Ogbah would seem to have the potential to grow into a threat, but if we're being honest he wasn't disruptive in his first two years. He flashed and posted some numbers, so I'd call him solid. But I didn't see anything from Ogbah as a pass rusher that would make me pass on Chubb.

Nassib has shown less than Ogbah. Kid certainly is someone to cheer for. Great motor, never gives up. He's a super duper try hard and I love that. But again its not like he's been a disruptor and he looks pretty shitty taking point against running play coming his way.

I'm still in camp, "you can't have too many pass rushers".

Now, hopefully you're right and I'm wrong here. Hopefully this was, at least in part, about GGG's feelings for his current guys and that we're going to see a breakout this coming year. My PTSD spidey sense tells me I simply can't allow myself to think that.... again..... and again..... and again.
 
5'11" doesn't seem small to me for a corner. I know receivers have gotten larger, but CBs were like 5'8" only a few years ago. What's the average nowadays?

I was thinking more his weight, which I read was in the 170-180 range. I also initially thought I read he was 5'9" lol

I am not bothered because I've read he plays "heavy" and he's a physical cover corner
 
Keep in mind, there is still an elite type interior DL in Maurice Hurst (3 tech) and also a pretty damn good DE in Harold Landry. Not like the DL is necessarily going to be ignored.
 
I was thinking more his weight, which I read was in the 170-180 range. I also initially thought I read he was 5'9" lol

I am not bothered because I've read he plays "heavy" and he's a physical cover corner

he reminds me of joe haden in his quickness and scrappyness and plays bigger than his size. this guy is way faster then haden he has way more make up speed.
 
Keep in mind, there is still an elite type interior DL in Maurice Hurst (3 tech) and also a pretty damn good DE in Harold Landry. Not like the DL is necessarily going to be ignored.

I'm for trading all of the Saturday picks and the Shelton acquired picks to move into tonight, if a desired player is there.

2 first rounders
3 second rounders
2 third rounders

Done. 7 players in a 7 round draft, but all selected in the first 3 rounds.
 
I'm for trading all of the Saturday picks and the Shelton acquired picks to move into tonight, if a desired player is there.

2 first rounders
3 second rounders
2 third rounders

Done. 7 players in a 7 round draft, but all selected in the first 3 rounds.

Because depth sucks!
And with a second thought a 0-16 team should find starters first. Depth later.
 
Denzel is elite. Long arms and a 40" vert, runs a 4.32, natural press skills. WAY better prospect than Haden was, mostly because of the speed.

Browns defensive backfield should be VAAAAASTLY improved. Randall at FS and Ward, Carrie, BBC, and Gaines as the top four corners? That's ridiculous.

Browns added that free agent DE, whatsisname. Could see them still getting an edge for packages. Hearing/reading they may go OL and RB early. I personally would prefer Landry and Sutton.

Feeling like they see Duke mostly as a receiver if they have both Hyde and Chubb. Yikes. That could seriously wear down a defense.
 
Ward is going to get smacked by bigger receivers. Fast, physical, doesn't quit, but he doesn't have size or length. We seem to have a thing for the scrappy, undersized guy this draft.
 
He has really long arms and jumps, covered some TEs last year. Same measurements as Lattimore but faster. He's gonna be really, really good. I love the pick (to nobody's surprise here). Didn't understand why it wasn't the scratch at 4, honestly.
 
My only problem with Ward is that I prefer ballhawking corners, and he's not really that guy.

That being said, he's a great lockdown guy. So I still support it.

I like the Ward pick even more if we take Josh Jackson in the second to pair them.
 
Back
Top Bottom