Which coach & program does Kirk Herbstreit trust most with his sons? | Barking Hard

Which coach & program does Kirk Herbstreit trust most with his sons?

The_QCT

Resident CFB Guru
Awards
Kirk Herbstreit's twin sons to walk-on at Clemson
By Staff Reports More from Staff
November 18, 2018

ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit’s twin sons Jake and Tye will be attending Clemson as preferred walk-on members of the Tiger football team.

In an interview with Fox 17 in Nashville, Herbstreit mentioned his twin boys attending Clemson in 2019 along with his tremendous travel schedule to see them and his youngest son, Zak, who will still be in high school next year.

“I’ll have Zak playing at MBA as a junior, and Jake and Tye going over to Clemson. We’ll have to cross that bridge when we get to it. These are all really good problems to have,” Herbstreit told FOX 17 last Thursday. “My goal is to be there for anything I can be.”

Both Jake and Tye attended Dabo Swinney’s Camp this summer. Jake plays safety and Tye plays wide receiver for Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville.

The elder Herbstreit was a four-year letter winner as a quarterback at Ohio State from 1989 to 1993. Since 1996, Herbstreit has been best known for his work on ESPN’s College GameDay which airs Saturday mornings in the fall. Herbstreit joined the GameDay in 1996 and since that time, he and Lee Corso have become synonymous with college football.

We have reached out to ESPN and Kirk Herbstreit and hope to have an update on this story in the near future.

https://clemsonsportstalk.com/s/2348/kirk-herbstreits-twin-sons-to-walk-on-at-clemson

Herbstreit knows not to send his sons to the POS Meyer and the 0SU program. No caring father would trust his son with that group over Dabo Swinney at the group at Clemson. Not too mention that Clemson has the better football program and will actually play for, and win, championships.

Kirk comes across to me as a guy that would answer any question his sons had candidly but not to the point of pushing one school over another.

Kirk said many years ago (before all the most recent Urban and OSU crap) that if his sons are good enough to play P5 football, they are going to Clemson no matter if they receive scholarships or not. It's always been about being mentored and molded by Dabo and our culture.

Dabo has turned Clemson into one of the bluest schools in the 21st century and they are solid academically. ( bluest meaning blood blood not getting political here at all) Any father would be proud if their son chose Clemson. As far as influence on where his sons went to school? I don't know but he doesn't come across as the type would that insist they go to Clemson but he certainly has said good things about Debo. Kirk is my favorite announcer because he comes across candidly to the point of drawing the ire of tOSU fans at times. I respect men that are honest to the point of drawing criticism.

College GameDay analyst and former Ohio State quarterback Kirk Herbstreit revealed in November his twin sons would walk-on at Clemson University in 2019, but didn't go into much detail on why.

He explained his reasoning during Saturday's College GameDay show, a few hours prior to the Tigers' College Football Playoff showdown vs. Notre Dame.

"They're going there as preferred walk-ons and a big part of that has to do with the culture," Herbstreit said. "As a dad and as a broadcaster, I’ve been lucky enough to get behind the scenes at Clemson the last few years. I've been blown away by the culture that Dabo has created. It's not just Dabo. It's the entire staff — the secretaries, the trainers, the team doctors, the SID. It’s different when you go to Clemson and you need to go there to really see it and understand it.

"And that's a credit to him and his leadership. Another mark of a great coach to me, whether you're the start quarterback or just a guy trying to make the team, you're treated the same. I think it goes back to his own experience at Alabama as a player. He runs his program through the eyes of that player who was at Alabama."

Top Bottom