Pick #4 Denzel Ward | Page 13 |

Pick #4 Denzel Ward

WRs who rely on speed won't catch a cold against Ward. But like you said, Allen is a technician and that indeed is the toughest matchup for a rookie still honing the craft.
 
WRs who rely on speed won't catch a cold against Ward. But like you said, Allen is a technician and that indeed is the toughest matchup for a rookie still honing the craft.

I think the biggest test will be not to fall for the double moves and get burnt downfield. Allen is more of a middle of the field pass catcher that can go for YAC. But he can also stretch the field when needed. Like you mentioned Allen is a technician and it will be quite the test, but he did a pretty damn good job against Michael Thomas, even on the TD grab Thomas had. Ward will just need to be aware of how quickly Rivers gets rid of the ball, which will most definitely be a factor.
 
i think its time to shut ward down for the Year......coming off a concussion number 2 for the year. if he gets 3 in a year that is Career threatening.

that coupled with his small stature he needs a year to get bigger.
 
i think its time to shut ward down for the Year......coming off a concussion number 2 for the year. if he gets 3 in a year that is Career threatening.

that coupled with his small stature he needs a year to get bigger.

He just needs to get smarter. He will never have the frame to hit guys above the knees. He has to stop trying that as GGG has been telling him from day one. He'll learn or he'll be out of the league.
 
He just needs to get smarter. He will never have the frame to hit guys above the knees. He has to stop trying that as GGG has been telling him from day one. He'll learn or he'll be out of the league.
That is harder to do than it looks too.

I played a couple years of flag football and I got penalized for ducking my head when I juked some guy. I was told afterward that we're not supposed to do that. It's dangerous because I could get head slapped if a defender tried to swipe my flag at the same time. I still to this day think it's bull shit, but those are the rules. I couldn't change and since I was older and barely hanging on to my playing days anyway I was done.
 
Well, as far as the concussion protocol goes, this would indicate he’s at least allowed some screen time:

<blockquote class="instagram-media" data-instgrm-captioned data-instgrm-permalink="https://www.instagram.com/p/Bri2Y8DgEWM/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading" data-instgrm-version="12" style=" background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);"><div style="padding:16px;"> <a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/Bri2Y8DgEWM/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading" style=" background:#FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank"> <div style=" display: flex; flex-direction: row; align-items: center;"> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 60px;"></div></div></div><div style="padding: 19% 0;"></div><div style="display:block; height:50px; margin:0 auto 12px; width:50px;"><svg width="50px" height="50px" viewBox="0 0 60 60" version="1.1" xmlns="https://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><g stroke="none" stroke-width="1" fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"><g transform="translate(-511.000000, -20.000000)" fill="#000000"><g><path d="M556.869,30.41 C554.814,30.41 553.148,32.076 553.148,34.131 C553.148,36.186 554.814,37.852 556.869,37.852 C558.924,37.852 560.59,36.186 560.59,34.131 C560.59,32.076 558.924,30.41 556.869,30.41 M541,60.657 C535.114,60.657 530.342,55.887 530.342,50 C530.342,44.114 535.114,39.342 541,39.342 C546.887,39.342 551.658,44.114 551.658,50 C551.658,55.887 546.887,60.657 541,60.657 M541,33.886 C532.1,33.886 524.886,41.1 524.886,50 C524.886,58.899 532.1,66.113 541,66.113 C549.9,66.113 557.115,58.899 557.115,50 C557.115,41.1 549.9,33.886 541,33.886 M565.378,62.101 C565.244,65.022 564.756,66.606 564.346,67.663 C563.803,69.06 563.154,70.057 562.106,71.106 C561.058,72.155 560.06,72.803 558.662,73.347 C557.607,73.757 556.021,74.244 553.102,74.378 C549.944,74.521 548.997,74.552 541,74.552 C533.003,74.552 532.056,74.521 528.898,74.378 C525.979,74.244 524.393,73.757 523.338,73.347 C521.94,72.803 520.942,72.155 519.894,71.106 C518.846,70.057 518.197,69.06 517.654,67.663 C517.244,66.606 516.755,65.022 516.623,62.101 C516.479,58.943 516.448,57.996 516.448,50 C516.448,42.003 516.479,41.056 516.623,37.899 C516.755,34.978 517.244,33.391 517.654,32.338 C518.197,30.938 518.846,29.942 519.894,28.894 C520.942,27.846 521.94,27.196 523.338,26.654 C524.393,26.244 525.979,25.756 528.898,25.623 C532.057,25.479 533.004,25.448 541,25.448 C548.997,25.448 549.943,25.479 553.102,25.623 C556.021,25.756 557.607,26.244 558.662,26.654 C560.06,27.196 561.058,27.846 562.106,28.894 C563.154,29.942 563.803,30.938 564.346,32.338 C564.756,33.391 565.244,34.978 565.378,37.899 C565.522,41.056 565.552,42.003 565.552,50 C565.552,57.996 565.522,58.943 565.378,62.101 M570.82,37.631 C570.674,34.438 570.167,32.258 569.425,30.349 C568.659,28.377 567.633,26.702 565.965,25.035 C564.297,23.368 562.623,22.342 560.652,21.575 C558.743,20.834 556.562,20.326 553.369,20.18 C550.169,20.033 549.148,20 541,20 C532.853,20 531.831,20.033 528.631,20.18 C525.438,20.326 523.257,20.834 521.349,21.575 C519.376,22.342 517.703,23.368 516.035,25.035 C514.368,26.702 513.342,28.377 512.574,30.349 C511.834,32.258 511.326,34.438 511.181,37.631 C511.035,40.831 511,41.851 511,50 C511,58.147 511.035,59.17 511.181,62.369 C511.326,65.562 511.834,67.743 512.574,69.651 C513.342,71.625 514.368,73.296 516.035,74.965 C517.703,76.634 519.376,77.658 521.349,78.425 C523.257,79.167 525.438,79.673 528.631,79.82 C531.831,79.965 532.853,80.001 541,80.001 C549.148,80.001 550.169,79.965 553.369,79.82 C556.562,79.673 558.743,79.167 560.652,78.425 C562.623,77.658 564.297,76.634 565.965,74.965 C567.633,73.296 568.659,71.625 569.425,69.651 C570.167,67.743 570.674,65.562 570.82,62.369 C570.966,59.17 571,58.147 571,50 C571,41.851 570.966,40.831 570.82,37.631"></path></g></g></g></svg></div><div style="padding-top: 8px;"> <div style=" color:#3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;"> View this post on Instagram</div></div><div style="padding: 12.5% 0;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: row; margin-bottom: 14px; align-items: center;"><div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);"></div></div><div style="margin-left: 8px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 20px; width: 20px;"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 2px solid transparent; border-left: 6px solid #f4f4f4; border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)"></div></div><div style="margin-left: auto;"> <div style=" width: 0px; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-right: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(16px);"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);"></div></div></div></a> <p style=" margin:8px 0 0 0; padding:0 4px;"> <a href="https://www.instagram.com/p/Bri2Y8DgEWM/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading" style=" color:#000; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none; word-wrap:break-word;" target="_blank">Grew Up In The Deep End #ripDad</a></p> <p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">A post shared by <a href="https://www.instagram.com/denzelward/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_medium=loading" style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px;" target="_blank"> Denzel Ward</a> (@denzelward) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2018-12-18T21:55:38+00:00">Dec 18, 2018 at 1:55pm PST</time></p></div></blockquote> <script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>
 
Worried about this young man. His hands were visibly shaking after the hit that knocked him out of the game. That was his third tackle that will cause him to miss playing time. Hope he can work on his tackling technique in the offseason.
 
He's not learning. I'm not sure he can at this point. GGG was public about it from the drop and he's still trying to hit.

I'm moving CB up in my draft needs. I hate it because I think Ward is elite in coverage but he's not going to be on the field much so it doesn't matter.
 
I'm thinking he can Grey. Bruce Smith talked about how it took him 2-3 years to learn how to play and not get injured. There are lots of examples of this. Ward is a very good wrap-spin-&-tackle guy, so he can build on that.

Learning how to not tackle big TE's up high is CB-ing 101. Yes, he should have learned this, but he's young, and need to prioritize technique & sense over youthful adrenaline of the moment.

However, the situation isn't concern-less, and a BPA CB would be not a bad idea at all. Totally down for that.


As far as next Sunday goes, Baltimore can't pass anyway, so let's see what Money-Mitch & OU-OhYeah TJ can do in run defense.
 
Ward is a very good wrap-spin-&-tackle guy, so he can build on that.
Is he? I'm sure I'm tainted now but all I seem to remember is him trying to "hit" guys instead of tackling. He is too damn frail to try and hit anybody; literally. Even the slightest of slot receivers... I still want him going low and wrapping. I just never seem to recall seeing him do that.

I hope like hell I'm wrong but I can't believe he's still doing it. Week 16 after missing time due to a neck stinger (stupid hit) and concussion (stupid hit) yet he tries to blow up a 6'6" 260# guy... again.
 
One more thing on concussions, it leans towards a young person's problem for a lot of reasons.

Concussions are one of the few ailments where being young is a disadvantage. Kids and teen athletes take longer to recover. Denzel is 21 and it's known he's always been a late-bloomer, physically.

I suspect he cleared the protocol just in time, but the protocol isn't perfect. This should be considered a recurrence of the same concussion.

And there was info out there about this being his 2nd, and now 3rd, concussion. Not true.

He had a neck injury, then a concussion whereby he came back too soon. So neck, and a concussion with recurrence.

It isn't unconcerning, but it's wayyyyy too premature to say he's done, or he can't improve his technique, or just that the simple process of getting older won't help.

But fair to say it bolsters the "fortify the CB room" thought? I'm all for that.
 
He’s just NFL-learning the hard way.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gregg Williams said Denzel Ward is better than in his last concussion just three weeks ago, but he said Ward has to tackle lower.</p>— Jeff Schudel (@jsproinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/jsproinsider/status/1077226593918042112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 24, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
 
With so many other needs starting to be less needy (WR/OL), we can be pretty aggressive adding a quality corner, maybe our best R3 pick to go with Ward, Mitchell, Carrie, and BBC.
 
The hard way is it happening once; not learning; doing it again and never making that mistake going forward. Ward is on his, like, fifth or sixth stupid high hit on a bigger player. I'll lay off, but if this doesn't wake him up to the fact that by NFL standards he's a midget I don't know what will.
 
Back
Top Bottom