It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns | Page 31 | Barking Hard

It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns

Sorry player fans. It's time. Baker Mayfield is an average NFL QB, a future journeyman ...and it's time to look at our options. There are only two QBs in the NFL worse than Baker Mayfield in the 4th quarter. We routinely finish in the bottom half in almost every meaningful passing category. There is nothing at all special about him. I used to think he had an elite arm, but a lot of QBs can throw the ball hard. He can certainly throw it, but how well does he pass it really? High, hard, and behind. Rinse and repeat. A large percentage of his completions go that route as well. He has every single weakness he had coming out of college. Nothing at all has improved. In the NFL he isn't chucking up prayers to NFL caliber WRs being covered by guys who are now checking out your groceries. Baker Mayfield is the 4th best QB in the AFC North. Out of 4 teams.

Last place in the division. Most in here predicted outlandish success this season. 12 wins? 14? Maybe more. This blow-hard thought we would likely have less wins than last season, simply due to a historically easy schedule in 2020. The Browns just lost to a team with no kicker, and a fat QB who likely has lower back problems, and runs about as fast as an arthritic sloth. People are now starting to look for new excuses. The new coach is holding the team back. The WRs drop the ball too much. Mean fans are hurting Emily Mayfield's feelings and it's having an effect on Baker's play. The truth is, there's a bottleneck at the QB position. We have a Superbowl caliber roster, and a QB that is limiting what we can do with it. Baker Mayfield is the best QB we have had in twenty years ....and people are desperate to defend him. I get it.

Against the Steelers on Sunday we witnessed something we try really hard to ignore. Baker throwing high and hard the majority of the game. While throwing from the pocket, Baker not only can't see most of the field, but he throws his trademark bullets high enough to get over the defenders standing between he and his receiver. This just doesn't work, as the trajectory of these bullets leave them high and often behind his mark. A difficult ask of WRs, TEs, and RBs. You'll have player fans on twitter showing slow motion replays of a ball going through Hooper's hand, and calling anyone who dares criticize Baker a "mouth breather", but in reality Hooper was at the top of his jump, arms outstretched to the max, trying to reel in a high, hard, and behind football. Could have easily been a walk in touchdown instead... a bad pass. A QB could normally avoid this by putting some touch on the ball, a little arc, or air under it ....but Baker doesn't seem to have that gear.

hoopermiss.PNG

Mayfield throughout his entire career has made a cottage industry of rolling to his right. It seems to be the one thing he is great at. The problem is, when you are a one-trick pony, other teams game-plan to take that trick away from you. Baker has rolled right and attempted to pass a total of 6 times this year. Think about that in relation to each year prior. Teams have forced Baker into the pocket, the Steelers literally dared the Browns to pass practically the entire game. How is it working out?

WC_Browns_play_action.gif

Fourth quarter, and another chance to win a game. Most of us knew what was going to happen didn't we? We have held onto hope, praying that the light would go on, that Baker would make wholesale changes, and he would become the Browns franchise QB ...someone we could count on to put the team on his back and lead us to victory with the game on the line. What we have got in reality is a QB that is 33 of 62, with 4 TDs and 5 INTS. Sam Darnold is the only QB as bad as Mayfield with the game on the line since 2018. Mayfield's passing rating with the game on the line is 61.3 and the Browns are 3-11 in these scenarios.

Mosley.gif

Kevin Stefanski was hired to reign in Mayfield's erratic tendencies. Stefanski's offense tends to turn average QBs into statistical wonders, (Case Keenum) and perhaps limit some players at certain positions, like a downfield QB and burner WR for example. Some argue that Stefanski has taken Mayfield's gunslinger aura away from him, which while true is also the reason why Baker has become far less prone to interceptions. The dink and dunk offense with numerous screens and TE heavy route trees certainly makes a QB look good on paper at times ...but who is Baker Mayfield without the ability to roll out on play action and plant bombs down the field? Certainly these are often 50/50 bombs, but they do add to what an opposing defense has to worry about. Mayfield has 10 completions of 20 or more yards this season ...20th in the league. Recall Stefon Diggs having the same issue that OBJ is currently having in the Stefanski offense. He moved on to the Bills and is back to all-pro form. I suspect OBJ will do the same for some other team.

hi-res-fb20a37f4de5b9034aec8d34c1c44bbd_crop_north.jpg

In short, we have no vertical passing attack, while employing one of the very best WR tandems in the game, and one of the fastest WRs in the league in Schwartz. Did the Browns hire the right coach? If you believe analytics and going by the book is usually right, then yes. If you believe in coaches who base decisions on the ebb and flow of the game, their "gut" as it were, then no. We are the worst team in the league at going for it on 4th down. Analytics got us there.

We could have had Canton native and lifelong Browns fan Josh McDaniels.

giphy.gif

So where are we now? A Superbowl caliber roster, with an extremely limited QB, and a coach who can only go by the book, apparently not capable of harnessing whatever "elite" trait Mayfield may have, if he has one at all. Playoffs this season ...not likely. Our Superbowl window is open for only a short while ...without the Browns front office doing something extremely out of character (see, ballsy) like going after a Watson, Wilson, or Rogers ...I don't see us going anywhere.

BrownsWithoutOBJ_AP_Ringer.jpg

(yes another QB thread)

Last edited:
I think we look for a DE or a DT with the 1st pick. We have our CB's. We have our Tackles we just need some depth and Hudson improved enough to keep him on the cheap as our backup. I don't think this FO is taking a marginal QB talent at 13 if we can find an outstanding DT or DE.

It doesn't look like there is a super TE that qualifies as a top 15ish pick either. Get the best DE/DT at 13 maybe a WR and add a top notch TE in the second round, but the second round is where this FO seems to find excellent value for their picks.

I think we ought to bring Bridgewater in for some competition and if he beats Baker out sobeit until we find "the guy". Or bring him in and say buh bye to Mayfield altogether. I know that doesnt fit Masters narrative but i really dgaf. Bridgewater would have no problem running Stefanskis offense and Stefanski could probably open up the current dumbed down playbook......

I think we ought to bring Bridgewater in for some competition and if he beats Baker out sobeit until we find "the guy". Or bring him in and say buh bye to Mayfield altogether. I know that doesnt fit Masters narrative but i really dgaf. Bridgewater would have no problem running Stefanskis offense and Stefanski could probably open up the current dumbed down playbook......

Bridgwaters ship has sailed.. No thanks..

I'm super interested to see what happens with this QB class.

The Cleveland.com reporters saying they don't see a point in taking a second or third round quarterback is - without actually saying it - based on the more tier two quarterbacks in the class. But I'm not sure the tier one quarterbacks come off the board as quickly as some, like the CBS mock, think.

Early mock drafts always exaggerate quarterbacks. As information from scouts starts to leak around the Senior Bowl, the quarterbacks start falling. Come draft day, they tend to fall even further.

I don't think it's a coincidence teams like the Browns have said they want to keep Mayfield and the Giants have said they want to keep Daniel Jones. I think the NFL perception is this draft isn't very good for quarterbacks, and I doubt we see a heavy run on them.

I think some of these quarterbacks are going to fall further than pundits think, and I think there may be quite a few on the board still when we pick in the second or even third round.
I dont want to come off as disagreeing with everything you say,but Im sorry this is backwards.
for instance last year zach wilson was projected as a 4th rd pick early on.then we all know what happened.
no,Im afraid the opposite is true. jones was a 2nd rd pick.the QB move up more than any other position and are overdrafted more than
any other as well.every year.case and point? you watch this zappe kid move up.at the moment hes a 4th or 5th rd pick.he will
end up going in the 1st rd/early 2nd rd. 5 QB's will go in the 1st rd. it looks ATM like a poor QB class but wait until the draftniks are through.
some teams wont have a choice but to draft a QB. count the teams that need a QB.Its about 5.theres always a surprise QB pick too ala GB.
I agree with cabbage on this one.If you're going to draft a QB?draft the best one you can.It makes sense.
I had to laugh when one said "we should have drafted a backup QB last year." umm yeah Ive been saying that too.
It would have given our '21 season at least a chance. If we dont grab a QB? we could be in the same boat next year with keenum. nobueno
QB's in the 1st rd? corall,pickett,strong,willis and howell. with zappe right up there too.2-3 will go top 12.

colts,texans,saints,WFT,lions,panthers and PITT need a QB. others like the giants,browns and broncos might too. thats 10 with 5 QB's
oh theres going to be a run on QB's alright. book it.

Last edited:
that CBS draft clip. the guy says. baker needs a season unimpeded by a QB controversy? what? TF?
an I know thats the common prevailing attitude when it comes to wrapping our QB's in cotton wool.this actually got me angry.
I mean either you are good enough or you are not.Its as simple as that.why is a little competition emasculating to people today?
what have we become? I mean what a pack of pussies? competition is why we fu&king exist. I believe people who are locked in
competition are at their happiest. struggle and the strive for victory feeds life.
I wouldn't hesitate to draft 2 QB's and say "listen you 2,I dont want to hear any complaining about the other QB.one of you is going to
be good enough to carry this team.one of you wont but thats not to say you wont be picked up by another team because you will.IF IF you are good enough an there aint no getting around or hiding from that.this is the NFL.there is no where to hide here"

Last edited:
Wow. Just got done listening to Mary Kay on pre game show. She said "Baker's team" is suggesting that the Browns are going to have to make him happy for him to stay. Because you know, he is so great and everything. He is not at all happy with the offensive scheme they are running and blames that on his horrific play. We heard rumblings a few weeks back that Baker wasn't getting along with Stefanski. Truth be told nothing is ever Baker's fault, just ask him. 😆

Let's just fire them both so we can take advantage of this Superbowl caliber roster. Let me call plays, guaranteed playoffs.

These people are clowns, starting at the top.
Fuck Baker Mayfield! He is a scrub!

I dont want to come off as disagreeing with everything you say,but Im sorry this is backwards.
for instance last year zach wilson was projected as a 4th rd pick early on.then we all know what happened.
no,Im afraid the opposite is true. jones was a 2nd rd pick.the QB move up more than any other position and are overdrafted more than
any other as well.every year.case and point? you watch this zappe kid move up.at the moment hes a 4th or 5th rd pick.he will
end up going in the 1st rd/early 2nd rd. 5 QB's will go in the 1st rd. it looks ATM like a poor QB class but wait until the draftniks are through.
some teams wont have a choice but to draft a QB. count the teams that need a QB.Its about 5.theres always a surprise QB pick too ala GB.
I agree with cabbage on this one.If you're going to draft a QB?draft the best one you can.It makes sense.
I had to laugh when one said "we should have drafted a backup QB last year." umm yeah Ive been saying that too.
It would have given our '21 season at least a chance. If we dont grab a QB? we could be in the same boat next year with keenum. nobueno
QB's in the 1st rd? corall,pickett,strong,willis and howell. with zappe right up there too.2-3 will go top 12.

colts,texans,saints,WFT,lions,panthers and PITT need a QB. others like the giants,browns and broncos might too. thats 10 with 5 QB's
oh theres going to be a run on QB's alright. book it.

I disagree. Sure, some guys have been overlooked like Wilson or when Carson Wentz was seen as a 4th rounder, but the vast majority fall further than expected. But more often we see the scare of Manziell/Bridgewater/Carr just not being on the board at 8, waste time on Geno Smith/EJ Manuel being top 10 picks or think guys like Paxton Lynch and Drew Lock are going in the top 15.

And some of those guys being overdrafted, like Daniel Jones, aren't a positive. Seeing a team sprinting towards a cliff is the time for us to back off in horror rather than race them.

FWIW, I hope there is a massive run on quarterbacks. Just leaves better players on the board for us because we're not taking a back-up quarterback at 13 and we're certainly not reaching in the second unless someone falls. As someone who isn't that interested in adding a quarterback, I hope you're right.

That's the bad part, if we keep The Laptop and Sashi 2.0 it probably will be. The Laptop is going to want another puppet and Sashi Jr will likely just hire whoever the Fritz Pollard Hate Group dictates he should hire.
I’ve been deemed in a negative light for saying much less and I’ve seen threads shut down for much less! However I do agree 100%! That’s how hypocritical it gets round here at times!

As I am watching the Bills dissect the Patriots it illustrates clearly to me just how far below the caliber of QB a winning NFL team Baker Mayfield is. Mayfield can't carry the jockstraps of any of the four guys who played today. I really hate the bastard. The thought of him starting in 2022 sickens me and makes me start thinking about who might be the QB in 2023. And to think, Allen could have been a Browns QB.

When TF are the Browns going to have a real QB?

I think theres a high probability he gets hurt again. I feel like noah "theres rain coming" we need to draft a QB but no one believes me.:ROFLMAO:
"shutup you old basterd, theres no rain" allen and burrow making runs at a SB? this sh^t is whack. what If one of them go to the SB?
BH's gonna blow up like the godfather!

Last edited:

Reports emerging that Russell WIlson is going to consider his options. Although he has not formally requested a trade, it's evident he's growing disgruntled in Seattle and may do so.

Wilson still has two years left on his contract, so Seattle are in a good position to keep him and have publicly said they intend to do so.

It's a valid question of if he would want to be in Cleveland, and one that is complicated by the strength of the AFC North, but there's a chance.

Personally, I don't think he'll request a trade and he recently expressed a desire to end his career with Seattle. I think, more than anything, he's just making it clear he wants his team to do a better job putting talent around him. But who knows.

The big question is if age has taken a toll. In 2021, he passed for 3,100 yards (64%) for 25 touchdowns and 6 interceptions - which is basically 2020 Baker Mayfield. The four years previously he threw over 30 touchdowns with no more than 13 interceptions, but questions will always be asked about a man who is turning 34 next season - it's not the end of the world, but not everyone is Tom Brady and the mid-30s is still the time you expect to see decline in a QB.

But if the Browns aren't sold on Mayfield and think Wilson can capitalise on an open window, you'd expect us to at least be part of the move.

It's also worth noting the Browns allegedly almost had a deal in place for Wilson prior to the 2018 NFL draft - with Seattle said to be interested in selecting Josh Allen and Russell Wilson on board with the trade. But for reasons which aren't reported, the deal never went ahead.

It's also worth noting the Browns allegedly almost had a deal in place for Wilson prior to the 2018 NFL draft - with Seattle said to be interested in selecting Josh Allen and Russell Wilson on board with the trade. But for reasons which aren't reported, the deal never went ahead.
what a move that would have been.for us and for them and to have allen out of our conference too? sh&t!
that proposal ^^ is much more radical and anti baker than mine (drafting) It essentially replaces baker from game 1 2022
this is where I say "wilsons never coming here" but wait.know where he's from? OHIO! imagine Cleveland If that happened.riots man riots.
then BDU would be "baker who?"

Reports emerging that Russell WIlson is going to consider his options. Although he has not formally requested a trade, it's evident he's growing disgruntled in Seattle and may do so.

Wilson still has two years left on his contract, so Seattle are in a good position to keep him and have publicly said they intend to do so.

It's a valid question of if he would want to be in Cleveland, and one that is complicated by the strength of the AFC North, but there's a chance.

Personally, I don't think he'll request a trade and he recently expressed a desire to end his career with Seattle. I think, more than anything, he's just making it clear he wants his team to do a better job putting talent around him. But who knows.

The big question is if age has taken a toll. In 2021, he passed for 3,100 yards (64%) for 25 touchdowns and 6 interceptions - which is basically 2020 Baker Mayfield. The four years previously he threw over 30 touchdowns with no more than 13 interceptions, but questions will always be asked about a man who is turning 34 next season - it's not the end of the world, but not everyone is Tom Brady and the mid-30s is still the time you expect to see decline in a QB.

But if the Browns aren't sold on Mayfield and think Wilson can capitalise on an open window, you'd expect us to at least be part of the move.

I make that trade in a heartbeat. Our roster is built to win now, we are in that window and Wilson still has enough in the tank to take Cleveland to the big dance. Absolutely you trade BM and draft picks to get Wilson here.

I make that trade in a heartbeat. Our roster is built to win now, we are in that window and Wilson still has enough in the tank to take Cleveland to the big dance. Absolutely you trade BM and draft picks to get Wilson here.

My only concern is how many first round picks they would want. As the reports have pointed out, Wilson has no leverage. If Houston want three first rounders for a guy who isn't even playing for them and has legal issues hanging over his head, it's possible Seattle would want more.

For the price to be reasonable, I feel like Wilson would have to legitimately be willing to retire if they don't move him.

that link up there ^^^ is a great listen. It plays for about an hour. I agree with dan and MKC If they are going to draft a QB go balls to the wall.pick a guy you really like (or 2) you think will be there and hope one falls.commit to it.I stop short of removing baker under any circumstance.I think hes good and deserves another shot.1 more year.he doesnt deserve though to be the only show in town any more.
not after being so badly hurt.we need a B plan not a bandaid. big believer in sitting rookie QB's. "green as a bean but not as smart"
they seemed really confused though about the situation it puts us in,which is funny.why is it so controversial? its not an$l fisting FFS.LOL
we do what GB,philli and the 49's have just recently done.we draft a 1st rd QB to sit behind our starter.WTF is the problem? its a no brainer.
the other 2 blokes want a WR 1st and a QB 2nd.I think all 7 will be gone by then.thats what the mocks are saying too.for me? no bueno
I have.corral,pickett,strong,willis,ridder,howell,zappe in order my BB as of 18 JAN
everyone should expect this to happen.look at what just went down in 2021! we cant have this again. simple.
what If bakers injury reoccurs or he comes out and is "not the same" we go 0-3 and bakers got 4-4 TD INT. then what?TF do we do?
that brand new sleek 1st rd WR aint gonna help us then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom