Topic of the Day | Page 3 | Barking Hard

Topic of the Day

Sorry,
I’m in the middle of hooked phonics.
all I was trying to say I could fill this thread with all kinds of questionable editorials, opinions and polls.
Conspiracy’s and fake news from Fox to NBC, be a little more selective in your posts and we wont have conflicts...

Serfdom

I'll post Whatever I please #1

You just go on thinking the Gov never lies,cheats to get it's desired results. meanwhile I will know better. :banana::banana::yo:

I will say that the 'dangers' of SHS was always based on 'questionable at best' data.

Let's put it this way...my dad was a pipe/cigar smoker. He smoked in the car every time we got in, and the smoke would blow directly into the back seat. My brother and sister both suffer from re-occurring bronchitis issues. I don't.

Based on the way they selected the data, 2/3rds of people exposed to SHS would develop ongoing bronchitis issues, thereby validating their hypothesis. Problem is, I was the one sitting directly behind my dad and getting the SHS right in the face...while my sister had an open window on the other side of the car. My brother? Shit, he is a hypochondriac anyway so who the hell knows.

My point? There was never a direct correlation established. Simply anecdotal connectivity.

I don't know how dangerous SHS is, but the studies were BS.

I read the article and as I read it, the headline as follows is incorrect:

SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE SHOWS SECONDHAND SMOKE IS NO DANGER

It can be argued that the evidence gathered was insufficient to prove that Second Hand Smoke was harmful based on prior assumption that the dose is the poison and prior accepted degree of confidence in the calculation of the odds. In short, the article correctly states that the confidence level had to be changed in order to get the desired result (from the perspective of the investigators). But it did not prove the contrary.

A more accurate headline would have been:

THE SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE PRESENTED TO SHOW THAT SECONDHAND SMOKE WAS A DANGER WAS INSUFFICIENT TO PROVE THE HYPOTHESIS BASED ON THE GENERALLY ACCEPTED SUPPOSITION THAT THE DOSE WAS THE POISON AND THE PRIOR ACCEPTED REQUIRED CONFIDENCE LEVEL

Republic

Cliff
I've never seen a headline that long. but good for you. lol

That link summerises years of studies and deceptions. imo it was the beginning of our Gov controlling science. it makes a joke of science. 10+ years ago when the frenzy on smoking was used to ban it in bars etc. we debated this subject to death. at least back in the 90s there were people monitoring the EPA. even tho they still used the report into the next century to get all the bans we have today.

One of my concerns were business owners being forced to tell customers they could not smoke here. where it should have been the up to the owner. then customers could decide if they wanted to be with smokers or not, just as it had always been. the forgetting we are a Republic not a democracy.

Cliff
I've never seen a headline that long. but good for you. lol

That link summerises years of studies and deceptions. imo it was the beginning of our Gov controlling science. it makes a joke of science. 10+ years ago when the frenzy on smoking was used to ban it in bars etc. we debated this subject to death. at least back in the 90s there were people monitoring the EPA. even tho they still used the report into the next century to get all the bans we have today.

One of my concerns were business owners being forced to tell customers they could not smoke here. where it should have been the up to the owner. then customers could decide if they wanted to be with smokers or not, just as it had always been. the forgetting we are a Republic not a democracy.

Okay, I will shorten it as follows:

SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE DID NOT PROVE SUFFICIENTLY THAT SECONDHAND SMOKE WAS A DANGER

Not quite as accurate, but shorter and still gives a reasonable sense of what the actual evidence was.

As for the rest of you argument, what you say is not always true. For example, there is a pool hall in Glenpool, Oklahoma, that my grandson and I walked into once and immediately walked back out again because of the tobacco smell. It would have been okay with me for just an hour or so playing 8 ball with my grandson, but he refuses to tolerate it at all.

In that place, there are signs all over it stating that smoking is allowed there and the air is thick with smoke. So even though he lives in Glenpool and this place would be so much handier to drop in for just a couple of games, instead we drive to Sand Springs 20 miles away for a smoke free environment.

Freedom

Good on Oklahoma, not forcing owners. out here so close to California and their citizens moving here bring their Dem ways with them is mind blowing. gone blue

This

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Adam Carolla compares "The progressive movement" to smoking.<br><br>Brilliant analogy. <br><br>Take two minutes and listen to this.<br><br>It's what has been going on in society for years, right before your eyes. <a href="https://t.co/7SWlkcqhhR">pic.twitter.com/7SWlkcqhhR</a></p>— Mike (@FuctupMike) <a href="https://twitter.com/FuctupMike/status/1145552288049766400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Happy New Years to all,
Let’s get back into it shall we?
IRAN
was it impeachment subterfuge or justified
in this moment in time?
There is no doubt he was a bad guy and won’t
miss him but Trump is over selling along with
Pompeo on what was in fact an assassination.

What would we do if they threw a bomb at one
of our leaders?
The example is Iraq and that hasn’t turned out
so “mission accomplished”.
It’s just the timing in question and lessons learned
or not in a completely wiped out country where the
payoff should have been reconstruction,
stuff the big guys like ,construction contracts,bids,
kickbacks and just maybe a stable ally in the region.
Why in this moment?
The impulsive side of trump on full display smells
like panic...
Possibly a new mission accomplished sign to hang
in Iraq where captain Bonespur sends our troops to a
stupid impulsive act,or was it?
Hard to get behind a coward or is it?

Happy New Years to all,
Let’s get back into it shall we?
IRAN
was it impeachment subterfuge or justified
in this moment in time?
There is no doubt he was a bad guy and won’t
miss him but Trump is over selling along with
Pompeo on what was in fact an assassination.

What would we do if they threw a bomb at one
of our leaders?
The example is Iraq and that hasn’t turned out
so “mission accomplished”.
It’s just the timing in question and lessons learned
or not in a completely wiped out country where the
payoff should have been reconstruction,
stuff the big guys like ,construction contracts,bids,
kickbacks and just maybe a stable ally in the region.
Why in this moment?
The impulsive side of trump on full display smells
like panic...
Possibly a new mission accomplished sign to hang
in Iraq where captain Bonespur sends our troops to a
stupid impulsive act,or was it?
Hard to get behind a coward or is it?

It really galls you to no end to see the man you hate so badly do great things....

I respect your opinion Dana but your grudge makes debating or discussion near impossible.

For all you know POTUS just saved your life and your response is to call him a coward and call out his lack of service.

You are gonna be a bitterman for a minimum of 5 more years. Spare me the condescending response. I admire MM and Brownsfan for even carrying on with you anymore.

I’m not a never Trumper or whatever you want to call it.
He’s the big cheese and as a citizen of the country I have the right to question why at this point in time with limited pockets of US
troops all over the region were put at risk for what appears like a huge error in judgement.
Neither W or Obama with massive numbers of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan
thought him an issue and now with few troops left it seemed like a good time to
simply assassinate a single bad guy in a country we weren’t at war with.
When it comes to saving life I’m more concerned about our military than Trumps polls or my life because if it’s about me then missiles are in the air and we’re all screwed!
No other country thinks this was a good idea but what the hell we don’t need them do we?
Since Iran’s allies are China and Russia!

I’m exhausted of Trump and his twitter feed can’t he just do a decent job?

It took three years of blown deadlines, but L.A. opens its first homeless housing project

Initially scheduled to open in October, the 62-unit project, known simply as 88th and Vermont, was supposed to be one of three HHH-funded projects to open in 2019. It did open quietly in mid-December but was the only one to do so.

The 88th and Vermont project cost $34 million and received just under $9.7 million from Proposition HHH. At $549,500 per unit, it reflects the upward trend in the cost of housing. The most expensive HHH projects have run more than $600,000 per unit.
https://www.latimes.com/california/...-housing-project-proposition-hhh-bond-measure

That's good use of tax $$$.
My question
Do we have any members with a $500,000 home ?
maybe a few ?

Initially scheduled to open in October, the 62-unit project, known simply as 88th and Vermont, was supposed to be one of three HHH-funded projects to open in 2019. It did open quietly in mid-December but was the only one to do so.

The 88th and Vermont project cost $34 million and received just under $9.7 million from Proposition HHH. At $549,500 per unit, it reflects the upward trend in the cost of housing. The most expensive HHH projects have run more than $600,000 per unit.
https://www.latimes.com/california/...-housing-project-proposition-hhh-bond-measure

That's good use of tax $$$.
My question
Do we have any members with a $500,000 home ?
maybe a few ?

I live with my in-laws!

I don't know what the property value has fallen to here but they're definitely not getting their money back on this one is my guess with the oil fall.

I live with my in-laws!

I don't know what the property value has fallen to here but they're definitely not getting their money back on this one is my guess with the oil fall.

Not sure what you mean by the oil fall. However since this is California, I thought it reasonable to mention that years ago, I was told, and assume it is true that there is more oil off the coast of California than in the gulf coast.

The price of oil plateaued and then sank quite a bit in, iirc 2015 and hasn't recovered to the levels it was at. As a result production at the sands has plateaued as well and new jobs have not been plentiful.

When my province is heavily dependent upon revenues from the oil sands production, well it was bad news bears that Conservatives used to fear monger their way in to office and lo and behold nothing has changed. Shocker.

Coronavirus infections

Is this the biggest virus of our times ?

I read a bit on this. normal seasonal viruses kill 14 in 100,000. a few days back 200 killed in 10,000. by my math it makes this 150 times as bad. heard 10,000 had died this flu season and we should be more worried about that from a talking head. rightly so I guess. yet by my numbers if this Corona makes it's rounds the same it will kill 1.5 million.

They are telling us so much but not in the numbers I pointed out. I don't recall cities being shut down hospitals(wards) built in days, evacuations worldwide like this before.

Is this the biggest virus of our times ?

I read a bit on this. normal seasonal viruses kill 14 in 100,000. a few days back 200 killed in 10,000. by my math it makes this 150 times as bad. heard 10,000 had died this flu season and we should be more worried about that from a talking head. rightly so I guess. yet by my numbers if this Corona makes it's rounds the same it will kill 1.5 million.

They are telling us so much but not in the numbers I pointed out. I don't recall cities being shut down hospitals(wards) built in days, evacuations worldwide like this before.

A family Member who has contacts in China told me its over 300.000 deaths and that they cremating bodies by the thousands in double digits on a daily business.. I would be mindful of purchases you make on Amazon that come from China... The Media is NOT reporting the full impact of the Corona virus abroad...

Top Bottom