Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play? | Barking Hard

Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play?

ToastedPagel

Less-Annoying Version of Mel Kiper
Awards
So we have a thread for what you're listening to. How about a thread for those who play it?

What's your instrument(s)? Got a band? Solo stuff? Tell us!

I play a little of everything, coming from a musical family (in short form, dad plays piano, mom plays guitar and Celtic harp and sings, and I have a cousin who is a cellist in the Baltimore Symphony): drums, orchestral percussion, guitar, bass, keyboards, mandolin, and occasionally I do something that resembles singing.

I just joined a band here in the Dallas area last week, a sort of folk-punk/anti-folk group called Death Before Breakfast as their new drummer, and used to play with bands in college and high school, mostly drumming. Ironic, because I have never owned a drum set in my life but it's what I play best.

Love my Martin X series and jam out on a SP-404sx into a ZT Lunchbox amp. I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear, the less the better.

Surprised not that many heads around here play.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear, the less the better.

I feel the same way on guitar gear-- I have three electrics (Fender strat and thinline tele, and a Samick Les Paul copy) and an el-cheapo acoustic, but only one amp (Fender Princeton 65) and a Digitech RP-300 for all my effects.

Drums though, I want a lot of options. I can work with any size set, but feel best with at least three toms and four cymbals besides hi-hat/snare/bass.

Would love to get a small electric drum set, never played but would be so fun to learn. What I didn't mention is I have a Gibson SG JR, great guitar but collecting dust atm. It will be trade bait for something new, maybe a small kit or new sampler.

I never venture outside the Browns sub-forum so I missed this one. I've played guitar since I was around 12 but never that seriously. I started taking lessons last winter to learn some music theory and might pick them up again this winter winter when I'm not so busy. I've also recently started playing bass in a stoner/doom metal band.

Current gear is a Creston tele-style build, a 2004 PRS Modern Eagle, and a shitty Seagull acoustic. For bass I have a Rick 4003w walnut. Bogner Lafayette combo amp for guitar and Darkglass Microtubes 900 for bass.

I play guitar and several other instruments... Heres a couple of examples ... Ones a remake of a christmas classic.. The other is just Me goofing off on a dare by a friend LOL...

I'm barely visible here (because drummers do it from the back) but here's some our songs. Unfortunately the banjo/harmonica player is no longer in the band and we've gone more electric lately, but you get the idea.

Would love to get a small electric drum set, never played but would be so fun to learn. What I didn't mention is I have a Gibson SG JR, great guitar but collecting dust atm. It will be trade bait for something new, maybe a small kit or new sampler.

I've considered an electronic since I live in a small apartment and they can be played through headphones, plus there are so many different sounds that can be programmed in. Haven't gone for it yet though, too many other things that my money ends up going into for the time being.

I play guitar and several other instruments... Heres a couple of examples ... Ones a remake of a christmas classic.. The other is just Me goofing off on a dare by a friend LOL...

Good shit dude, how did you record the Christmas tune?

I'm barely visible here (because drummers do it from the back) but here's some our songs. Unfortunately the banjo/harmonica player is no longer in the band and we've gone more electric lately, but you get the idea.

Love it, acoustic guy myself.

I did it on Sonar cakewalk through My PC..4 guitar tracks, one keyboard bass track.. And a drum track I did free hand on Keyboard because I didnt want to spend all day trying to program and quantize the drum parts.. So I just kept it simple... Did it all in Drop D tuning

Sonar is great, I just never got into recording with a computer. I’m an asshole computer tech so when I get home to gear the last thing I want is sit in front of a screen. Of course I’ll have to change when I want to start dropping tracks. Midi programming is easy but sounds so fake quick, I’m with on free hand drums. Sounds great.

Got ourselves a bunch of shows booked down here over the next few months-- DFW, OKC, Wichita, and a few others in the works.

I must be hitting harder than I think I do-- on Saturday I managed to break two sticks AND a cymbal stand.

Did some recording last weekend and played our first two shows since May this past week. I'll post some audio and/or video soon. Doing a pair in Oklahoma this weekend.

Jammed on the bass with a couple co-workers a few weeks ago. Kind of getting the itch to join another band on rhythm guitar or something like that.

We've got two local (to VT) shows coming up at the end of this month and beginning of next. The second one should be better exposure since it's with bigger bands in the scene.

But what I'm most excited about is ordering one of these bad boys http://blackhawkamplifiers.bigcartel.com/product/odin-120. 120W all hand-wired tone monster based on the classic Orange/Matamp amps of the 70s except this one has a high-gain input that will shatter buildings. I'm playing my bass through a solid state Darkglass Electronics amp right now so I'll be selling that once this arrives and using it for both bass and guitar.

I bought a Zoom H4n Pro digital recorder too for recording our rehearsals and maybe recording our next demo ourselves. Ideally I'd like to build my own studio one I buy a house in the next year or so.

Top Bottom