Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play? | Page 4 | Barking Hard

Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play?

The Crybaby is still used today quite a lot, I prefer the Vox myself when it comes to Wah pedals.

I have a decent group of effects to go with it all-- Digitech RP300 multi-effect (I mostly use it for the Whammy pedal), Vox Wah, a Chinese copy of the famous orange Phase 90 phaser, plus Behringer versions of several Boss pedals (O/D, octave, tremolo, fuzz/boost, EQ), a Danelectro chorus, and a tiny delay pedal.

My board right now goes guitar > EQ > RP300 > wah > fuzz > O/D > phaser > delay > amp.

Just got my Twin Reverb this past weekend!

Found a Craigslist post with one for sale-- he didn't know the year, but he had had it sitting largely unused for a long time, put new caps and tubes in it two years ago, plus footswitch, casters, and cover for $700. I talked him down to 6, went and tried it out and it was perfect. I found the serial number on it, and it's a 1975. All four of my guitars sound nice through it clean. I'll finally be putting the pedals to it tonight at practice. Picked up a noise gate pedal finally too that should be here Friday-- been needing one pretty badly. Probably going to buy a keyboard soon, just a simple $100-ish Casio or Yamaha. I love being able to play a piano and write best on one, but can't really fit one in a one-bedroom apartment.

Well, I managed to already fuck something up.

Friday night the amp quit working on me. Everything was good for the first hour of practice, and I put it in standby while we took a break. When I came back and flipped it off standby, I got arcing in the back, popping, and no sound. One of the tubes was glowing a little bit differently (I say blue-ish, one of my bandmates says purple-ish), so possibly a blown tube. I shut it off and played the rest of our practice through a different one. I tried checking it one more time before leaving and when taking it out of standby, got more arcing and then the fuse blew on it.

I asked the guy I bought it from, he thinks it might be that tube or possibly the plate resistor. I was going to get it checked this weekend but today I got up and the car wouldn't start (a day after sinking $300 into a new windshield). Our mechanic got it started and can't find anything wrong with it: guessing/hoping it's just a flooded engine from everything I read online. Clearly this isn't my greatest electro-mechanical week ever.

I'm going to find out soon, hopefully. I emailed the amp repair guy that was recommended to me-- he says it sounds like a power tube shorting out, and it's possible it took out a screen resistor as well. Fortunately he doesn't charge to take a look at it (whereas the guy recommended by Guitar Center wants $75 to even take a look at things) and the two people who recommended him said that his quality of work is excellent and comes in at a fairly low price. So hopefully I can get it looked at and fixed up soon.

I like Guitar Center for a lot of things (they did a great job on the setup on my strat and tele and they're my usual go-to for any supplies and such-- it helps having one a mile up the road) but on vintage gear repairs, I'd much rather go elsewhere. The guy they recommended is a Fender-authorized repair person but if it costs me that much to even have him look at it, I'm going to the guy that was recommended to me from my colleagues and doesn't charge that.

Getting the Twin back today! One of the power tubes (or one pair of them) blew out and fried the screen resistor as well. Repair guy took a look and saw a couple other pieces that could use replacing as well so he just took care of it all at once. Was more than I hoped to spend ($100), but less than I feared it could be ($250).

I wish I had known about it earlier this year, but I'm going to enter RPM next year. It's a yearly challenge to record an entire album in the month of February (minimum 10 tracks or 35 minutes). Some try to keep it to only using things written in that month, others just use whatever they write as long as it's only recorded that month. All originals, no covers. It's run by Portsmouth NH's independent newspaper, The Wire. Not a contest, just a challenge, but they have all the albums available to be streamed online.

Last edited:
Interesting concept to write and record ten original tunes in
a month, I jumped out of tracking originals in 98.
What can I say I’m a drummer, wrote good lyrics but can’t play
guitar or piano.
$100.00 for a diagnosis and repair for the reverb sounds like a
great deal, hope things turn out well with your musical career
or hobby, however you see it.

Anyone taking this time to play more music? I have been picking up the acoustic a lot more as a way to relieve the stress. Also trying to drown myself with my MPC Live and finally learn it. Forgot how much I love to jam, learn, and create.

I picked up the dirty old silvertone (danelectro) on the left just before the lock down happened. The dano on the right is a 90s re-issue that is my couch guitar. Kind of a father/son photo. It was a bit of a mess and still needs to be setup better. Last Monday I also got my echoplex back from the shop. So they have been my go to while at home the past week.
View attachment 1704
Fender play is giving out free subscriptions for 3 months while this is going on. I thought it would be good to learn a few new tunes. But it's so so. Probably more geared for beginners but the song list is fairly extensive considering they made them all. But probably nothing you cannot find on YouTube. But free is free and no cc required.

https://try.fender.com/play/playthrough/

Got a sweet setup, just wish I had time to use. No complaints though as I'm happy to be working. BTW my basement is a wreck, was my spring project to renovate before all this. Previous homeowners decided vomit green moldings and doors paired with pink carpet was a solid choice. Again though, no complaints, my old house had a dirt basement.

View attachment 1726

Looks awesome!,
Technology in recording music today is really cool.
Way back when I remember professional studio’s
Only had eight tracks to record with,then 16 track
to the modern two inch 24track tape that you had
Roughly twenty minutes worth of tape to record on!

I grew up in recording studios and know how to mix
rather well but it’s been a few years and in that small
amount of time pro tools, cake walk and whatever else
is out there is lost on me!
I can barely use my Roland spd-x drum pad.
hope you get to enjoy your set up for years
to come!
Is that mic a Senheiser?

I was lucky enough that my father had a 8 track reel to reel recorder when I was in high school. Best demo ever. Always loved music and was always my escape. Mic is a 15 year old area 51s ADK mic. It’s a good mic but the $30 art pre amp does it no justice.

Got a keyboard this week (just a cheap 61-key Yamaha) so I've been playing around with it the last few days, just trying to relearn the songs I knew when I had a piano a few years ago.

Better get some use from your twin reverb soon!
I was playing again until we all had to stay at home
My style is very loud my neighbors have never given
me grief but with everyone bunkered down I quit
playing,thinking about selling off all my acoustic
Drums for a quality set of Rolands.

Top Bottom