Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play? | Page 3 | Barking Hard

Barking Hard Musicians: What do you play?

Hammer I’ve seen that video and could watch a million more times ,cracks me up,

Keg my kit is a Pearl masters series in birch,I hit very hard but can still play tasty
But I’m pretty much done,I play just for stress relief anymore!,for my style of play birch wood can’t be beat,just can’t get the sounds I want out of maple.

Toasted,
Did you happen to join a Stones cover band or are they “it” for you?
Good stuff either way��

Toasted,
Did you happen to join a Stones cover band or are they “it” for you?
Good stuff either way��

Our drummer and mandolin player are both big Stones fans, so since we wanted to play a few covers due to having two hours to fill in Abilene, the drummer recommended Gimme Shelter since we have the female vocal ability for it.

I need to get video of our Sonic Reducer cover; we try to keep it more to the original Rocket From The Tombs version.

It’s cool to take a cover tune and make it your own as long as you keep the basics sound as true as possible.
Be serious but have fun!

That's what's fun about "Sonic Reducer:" it's a fairly simple song by a Cleveland band and it seems like everyone has covered it at some point (Dead Boys, Pearl Jam, a pre-reunion Guns N' Roses, and more). The original Rocket recording (I'm actually wearing my RFTT t-shirt today) isn't even the best-known version since it didn't even get released officially until 27 years after it was recorded. But the original has the best backing vocals and guitar work on it so I like keeping fairly close to it.

Bands and ego’s ,ego’s and bands.
Sorry to hear it whatever the cause it sucks.
I refuse to play out anymore ,I’ll do session work for friends and have friends over to jam but no bands,zero, nada ,none.
Bands full of Pages ,bohnams and Claypools Fleas and whatever
And THEN the opinions ,decisions ,cash, sound,bookings...................it never ends.

I’m sorry if I sound bitter but I’m not. I just can’t break down my kit load it drive to wherever unload play for four hours and break down you get the point.
The catch is I love to play however all of the above is sooooooo true.
Hang in there,tomorrow’s another day.

I’ve left/kicked from bands before, so much time Wasted on drama rather then making music. Beginning of the month I picked up an MPC Live, thing is bad ass to drop a beat then play guitar and keys over. Work flow is quick once I got the basics.

I played bluegrass music professionally for many years I play mandolin, guitar and bass. I can related to Danamal post. Im over it. I stopped in the late '80's

I am very active in the vintage guitar and instrument market, and have established myself as an expert on Old Gibson Mandolins That's where my F5Journal handle comes from

www.f5journal.com

I currently make pickguards and bridges for older vintage Gibson instruments

I just started back with a new band in the last couple of weeks. Mostly on drums, but might do some guitar and vocal work as well. We just need a bass player and we'll be all set, and we're working on looking for that.

My old band took on the guitarist from a band that I had a good relationship with (ouch...) and suddenly decided to find some ambition that wasn't there six months ago-- which left me in a total rage for about two days.

Thanks, it's good so far. I've already been able to help contribute some bits and pieces to help round out the songs, and we'll have a guy jamming with us on bass next week. Looks like I'm mostly going to be on guitar instead with some switching here and there-- basically if we want to put the other drummer/guitarist's songs in the setlist, he can play that show on guitar and I'll play it on drums.

The singer/guitarist is likely going to stick to vocals and songwriting, so we'll look for another guitarist to have it all covered.

Alright guitar guys, I'm looking for a new amp.

I just need something simple for playing gigs and practices, and under $500. I found three I'm considering and would love to know any pros/cons that anyone may have on them.

Boss Katana-100

Line 6 Spider V 60/120/240

Fender Champion 100

The Boss and Line 6 models have several built-in effects and modeling-- not a make or break for me since my pedal board will be running into it, but it might be nice to have a few pre-sets that I can just tap into. I'm leaning toward the Spider V 240 just because it's 240 watts in my price range, and it would be nice to have that sort of power if/when we play any slightly larger venues or outdoors or anything like that. The Katana and Champion are 100 watts each (and the Spider V 120 is 120 watts, as the name implies). Still pretty nice and at a $500 budget, I'd have some left over. I could likely even get away with the Spider V 60, but I'd hate to sink money into that now only to have to fork out more to upgrade to 100+ watts later.

My current amp is a solid state Fender Princeton 65 from the late 90s. Solid amp, but has been getting some crackling and cutting out when it heats up, so it's not reliable for gigs. Just been using a bandmate's amp for the time being but he prefers not to let others use his gear for shows (for which I don't blame him in the slightest).

I know someone out there is going to recommend a tube amp of some sort but for the price I can afford and power I would want, it's just not feasible for me right now.

Anyone with thoughts/recommendations on these or other amps?

Bands and ego’s ,ego’s and bands.
Sorry to hear it whatever the cause it sucks.
I refuse to play out anymore ,I’ll do session work for friends and have friends over to jam but no bands,zero, nada ,none.
Bands full of Pages ,bohnams and Claypools Fleas and whatever
And THEN the opinions ,decisions ,cash, sound,bookings...................it never ends.

so true
funny you know its never the actual job you dislike
Its the wankers you have to work with that makes you hate going to work LOL
bands too
love the process of making music
but its the ego's,the organising (endless organising) and the constant
negotiations that make it work,not fun.

I gave it all away a long time ago and just started doing solo acoustic
no percussion (rather have none than a machine)
I'm not a stone cold pro like you guys
just a self taught "joe strummer"

I have some tunes on utube but its not very good
1 take bare guitar and vocal and thats all
I'll probably be laughed out of BH for this but fuggit
Its just for fun anyway

I know dan - dude you need percussion your timings terrible! LOL

I rock ovation (american made of course!) 6 and 12 stringers
fender usa std white strat
bose tower (in background)
elixer strings
play drums too but only your basic stuff nothing flashy

been jamming a heap of the haints lately going to do some new stuff real soon

Last edited:
Think I got my new amp picked out: I found several good condition used Fender Twin Reverbs from 1972-82 through Guitar Center, including a nice 1976 model that I can have shipped in from New Jersey.

Ahhhhh
The amp of the seventies!
Twin reverb and a strat or tele and your all set.
Good amp!
Most people fall into the Marshall trap.
The only really good Marshall’s were made in
England and are hard to get.
Mesa boogie isn’t bad.
Crate pretty much sucks.
Nice choice you still in a band?

Yeah, the one I started playing with back in September is going well. Practices are a bit irregular since we can only practice every other week (this week Thanksgiving screws it all up, and two weeks ago the other two members were battling illness so it's been a while), but it's all good. Once I get this amp we can start booking shows in early 2020. I'm still splitting time between drums and guitar for now with it.

I have both a strat and a tele (thinline) so that works out well. I mostly have been using my Gretsch lately. I also have a Les Paul copy, but the pickup switch is broken on it so I don't use it as much. It still switches, but the actual peg of the switch broke off, so I can't switch mid-song if I ever need to.

Going to be buying a 12-string acoustic this weekend that used to be my grandfather's. My uncle in Michigan has had it for the last few years and since I'm going up to Chicago and Detroit I'll be able to swing by and pick it up from him. It's a Starfield from the 70s, which was eventually absorbed into Ibanez.

Enjoy it and happyThanksgiving!
My older brother had a twin reverb
and a strat and back in the seventies
he also went crazy with effects pedals
Cry baby,phase shifter and he messed
around with a lot of others.
Pretty sure the cry baby is still in use today
Killer pedal!

Top Bottom