It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns | Page 13 | Barking Hard

It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns

Sorry player fans. It's time. Baker Mayfield is an average NFL QB, a future journeyman ...and it's time to look at our options. There are only two QBs in the NFL worse than Baker Mayfield in the 4th quarter. We routinely finish in the bottom half in almost every meaningful passing category. There is nothing at all special about him. I used to think he had an elite arm, but a lot of QBs can throw the ball hard. He can certainly throw it, but how well does he pass it really? High, hard, and behind. Rinse and repeat. A large percentage of his completions go that route as well. He has every single weakness he had coming out of college. Nothing at all has improved. In the NFL he isn't chucking up prayers to NFL caliber WRs being covered by guys who are now checking out your groceries. Baker Mayfield is the 4th best QB in the AFC North. Out of 4 teams.

Last place in the division. Most in here predicted outlandish success this season. 12 wins? 14? Maybe more. This blow-hard thought we would likely have less wins than last season, simply due to a historically easy schedule in 2020. The Browns just lost to a team with no kicker, and a fat QB who likely has lower back problems, and runs about as fast as an arthritic sloth. People are now starting to look for new excuses. The new coach is holding the team back. The WRs drop the ball too much. Mean fans are hurting Emily Mayfield's feelings and it's having an effect on Baker's play. The truth is, there's a bottleneck at the QB position. We have a Superbowl caliber roster, and a QB that is limiting what we can do with it. Baker Mayfield is the best QB we have had in twenty years ....and people are desperate to defend him. I get it.

Against the Steelers on Sunday we witnessed something we try really hard to ignore. Baker throwing high and hard the majority of the game. While throwing from the pocket, Baker not only can't see most of the field, but he throws his trademark bullets high enough to get over the defenders standing between he and his receiver. This just doesn't work, as the trajectory of these bullets leave them high and often behind his mark. A difficult ask of WRs, TEs, and RBs. You'll have player fans on twitter showing slow motion replays of a ball going through Hooper's hand, and calling anyone who dares criticize Baker a "mouth breather", but in reality Hooper was at the top of his jump, arms outstretched to the max, trying to reel in a high, hard, and behind football. Could have easily been a walk in touchdown instead... a bad pass. A QB could normally avoid this by putting some touch on the ball, a little arc, or air under it ....but Baker doesn't seem to have that gear.

hoopermiss.PNG

Mayfield throughout his entire career has made a cottage industry of rolling to his right. It seems to be the one thing he is great at. The problem is, when you are a one-trick pony, other teams game-plan to take that trick away from you. Baker has rolled right and attempted to pass a total of 6 times this year. Think about that in relation to each year prior. Teams have forced Baker into the pocket, the Steelers literally dared the Browns to pass practically the entire game. How is it working out?

WC_Browns_play_action.gif

Fourth quarter, and another chance to win a game. Most of us knew what was going to happen didn't we? We have held onto hope, praying that the light would go on, that Baker would make wholesale changes, and he would become the Browns franchise QB ...someone we could count on to put the team on his back and lead us to victory with the game on the line. What we have got in reality is a QB that is 33 of 62, with 4 TDs and 5 INTS. Sam Darnold is the only QB as bad as Mayfield with the game on the line since 2018. Mayfield's passing rating with the game on the line is 61.3 and the Browns are 3-11 in these scenarios.

Mosley.gif

Kevin Stefanski was hired to reign in Mayfield's erratic tendencies. Stefanski's offense tends to turn average QBs into statistical wonders, (Case Keenum) and perhaps limit some players at certain positions, like a downfield QB and burner WR for example. Some argue that Stefanski has taken Mayfield's gunslinger aura away from him, which while true is also the reason why Baker has become far less prone to interceptions. The dink and dunk offense with numerous screens and TE heavy route trees certainly makes a QB look good on paper at times ...but who is Baker Mayfield without the ability to roll out on play action and plant bombs down the field? Certainly these are often 50/50 bombs, but they do add to what an opposing defense has to worry about. Mayfield has 10 completions of 20 or more yards this season ...20th in the league. Recall Stefon Diggs having the same issue that OBJ is currently having in the Stefanski offense. He moved on to the Bills and is back to all-pro form. I suspect OBJ will do the same for some other team.

hi-res-fb20a37f4de5b9034aec8d34c1c44bbd_crop_north.jpg

In short, we have no vertical passing attack, while employing one of the very best WR tandems in the game, and one of the fastest WRs in the league in Schwartz. Did the Browns hire the right coach? If you believe analytics and going by the book is usually right, then yes. If you believe in coaches who base decisions on the ebb and flow of the game, their "gut" as it were, then no. We are the worst team in the league at going for it on 4th down. Analytics got us there.

We could have had Canton native and lifelong Browns fan Josh McDaniels.

giphy.gif

So where are we now? A Superbowl caliber roster, with an extremely limited QB, and a coach who can only go by the book, apparently not capable of harnessing whatever "elite" trait Mayfield may have, if he has one at all. Playoffs this season ...not likely. Our Superbowl window is open for only a short while ...without the Browns front office doing something extremely out of character (see, ballsy) like going after a Watson, Wilson, or Rogers ...I don't see us going anywhere.

BrownsWithoutOBJ_AP_Ringer.jpg

(yes another QB thread)

Last edited:
meant that it's hard to focus when you get distracted by BS. But I see you're distracted by it so carry on.
distracted? you know I dont coach or play for the CB right? Im a fan. I can lose focus LOL Its ok. I cant throw a pick.
Its interesting to hear what people think about this. not for you? cool. take the DeLorean back to '89
baker and his squeeze have embarrassed this team and themselves.deny deny all you like. pretend the world missed it.
If they just STFU and play good ball everything will be just fine.
they are 2 kids with loaded shotguns right now aye? they could blow this whole franchise up like the godfather If they choose too.
the reality is If baker keeps playing hurt and stinks up the place? the fans will turn on him (I mean hes geddin booed 1st pick now)
and he may be inclined to want to leave If that happens.I hope he sits.
what If he gets booed running out by the browns fans after all this negative publicity? that would not be good.
If baker were to leave cleveland now? It would be an unmitigated disaster for us all

Last edited:
Life is what you make of it. Not anyone else can change it unless you allow them to.
Though I agree, family can do damage quick, sometimes unintentionally. He needs to button that up.

I won’t judge Bakers performance because of a post but if it continues I’ll question his intentions and possibly his character.

what If baker got up there and said

"hey,I really sucked out there today huh.the hardest part? was my mom was down there on the 50 yard line and she was booing!
she called out "you suck!" thats hard for a guy to deal with.hey,I would have booed myself! but thank god my incredible coaches and team mates carried me through this tough moment in my career and we managed to beat a very tough detroit team at home.

seriously the booing broke my heart.I love this city and I love being a brown.so please browns fans hang in there with us,theres going to be
tough days but I promise you we will climb mountains to bring a championship to the city of cleveland.
I just would like a special shout out to nick,our outstanding RB and our amazing defence. this was a team win though
and Id like to thank every player and coach who got us this tough won victory here today. browns fans I promise we will make it up to you.keep showing up and showing out. thankyou all. Ill take questions ."

and you bravely stand up there with that big gap tooth smile on your face and you take the heat.

Last edited:
Same crap as Mayfield's wife. Posting someone else's comment/content which speaks poorly of others. For OBJ dad it's a video someone else made and posted weeks prior showing how open his kid is (we can only speculate on the intent). Baker's wife posts a fan made comment about toughness of Baker and how the other players need to be as tough (we can only speculate on the intent). Yet one gets some fans upset while the other doesn't.
It's not the same. It came out that OBJ didn't want to stay here and wanted out since at least last year. Add to that he was hurt and couldn't play making his value at about zero. His bitch was intended to get him off the team and his dad's highlight/lowlight video created a situation that was intolerable for the team.

Baker's wife's BS could be easily used to motivate the team. In the sense that they should play better than they are.

Nothing about OBJ's BS could be construed in that light. He allowed his dad to make it so he could quit.

Now the FO has some blame because they should've got his ass off the team sooner, but he was hurt. Trying to create value where there is none was probably their intent, but it wasn't going to happen soon enough for OBJ.

Now if Baker's wife made a lowlight video of OBJ running bad routes and dropped balls we might have something comparable. That would be instant fuckery of the highest level.

Last edited:
Baker's wife's BS could be easily used to motivate the team. In the sense that they should play better than they are.
I'm not making a big deal about the post, it was stupid and really bad timing. However, I'm not going to pretend that a player's wife calling out a team's toughness is going to lift the morale of an already heated locker room.

Again, I'm on this way longer than I should be. You ever been called weak or a wimp by a co-worker's wife? It's a bad look is all.

I'm not making a big deal about the post, it was stupid and really bad timing. However, I'm not going to pretend that a player's wife calling out a team's toughness is going to lift the morale of an already heated locker room.

Again, I'm on this way longer than I should be. You ever been called weak or a wimp by a co-worker's wife? It's a bad look is all.
It is a bad look and it comes off that in between virtue signaling to the media and getting pegged by his wife, Mayfield is running his mouth about his teammates to her and throwing them under the bus. A great way to split a locker room in a hurry.

I agree. This is dumb shit and a distraction.

LMFAO , yeah coach emily? motivational speaker? she lives in a van down by the river! come on man!
I'm not going to pretend that a player's wife calling out a team's toughness is going to lift the morale of an already heated locker room.
you're not..

As it sinks in whats been said,the sports media are continually retelling the story,this gets worse..

Last edited:
Only for those that are obsessed with that BS. Which is you.
you mean sports? ah guilty!
sports media is not MSM. an instagram is y'know the internet.
fans are watching these shows,fans from cleveland.Its relevant to our problem
who watches these shows? sports fans do. we do. admit it or dont. browns fans are watching.
are you reading some of the headlines today? we have a problem alright. now what does haslem do with the contract?
at best this is a massive distraction in the LR. at worst? another looming QB disaster for the CB.

Last edited:
Same crap as Mayfield's wife. Posting someone else's comment/content which speaks poorly of others. For OBJ dad it's a video someone else made and posted weeks prior showing how open his kid is (we can only speculate on the intent). Baker's wife posts a fan made comment about toughness of Baker and how the other players need to be as tough (we can only speculate on the intent). Yet one gets some fans upset while the other doesn't.
By all means. Please get this &@*#£ trash out of here. Some say it’s “hypocritical” compared to the OBJ situation and why he was canned. Others will have a different conclusion. You know, the same conclusion you often have when the truth is spoken.

Last edited:
I'm not willing to cut him loose until we have a viable option not named Keenum. I'd rather get cut OBJ between the two of them and see what happens because while Baker is down at the moment I'm not convinced he can't be an OK QB.
You certainly got your wish. And Baker is still sucking. At first they blamed Hue. Then they blamed Kitchen Sink. Now they will blame Stephanie. He single-handedly has been the demise of coaching staffs. He is the real cancer on this team!

all of this has nothing to do with bakers play on the field
Its about his (and his significant other) bad attitude towards fans and the media after a win
It still wouldnt matter much If he was playing well, which he isnt.
so bakers play has been bad but his PR skills even worse! a lethal combination for a career
which believe it or not is in a nosedive right now. can he avoid the death spiral? we play the ravens at home in 3 weeks
that game is going to be telling.he had better play well in baltimore or sit because this could get out of control

so the FO got rid of OBJ for daring to insult baker but he is still pouting the very next week after a win?
the fans know now how much booing upsets him.
I am personally really disappointed. I thought we had a leader.maybe not an all pro but a team player. a centrepiece.a QB.
come to find out we dont have that either.so with baker,what do we got y'all?
you thought the fans were upset at the last game? now what? after hes insulted them all on national TV?
yeah the media have piled on for days as well which wont help.this is going to get bad.real bad for buddy boy and the browns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom