It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns | Page 14 | Barking Hard

It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns

Sorry player fans. It's time. Baker Mayfield is an average NFL QB, a future journeyman ...and it's time to look at our options. There are only two QBs in the NFL worse than Baker Mayfield in the 4th quarter. We routinely finish in the bottom half in almost every meaningful passing category. There is nothing at all special about him. I used to think he had an elite arm, but a lot of QBs can throw the ball hard. He can certainly throw it, but how well does he pass it really? High, hard, and behind. Rinse and repeat. A large percentage of his completions go that route as well. He has every single weakness he had coming out of college. Nothing at all has improved. In the NFL he isn't chucking up prayers to NFL caliber WRs being covered by guys who are now checking out your groceries. Baker Mayfield is the 4th best QB in the AFC North. Out of 4 teams.

Last place in the division. Most in here predicted outlandish success this season. 12 wins? 14? Maybe more. This blow-hard thought we would likely have less wins than last season, simply due to a historically easy schedule in 2020. The Browns just lost to a team with no kicker, and a fat QB who likely has lower back problems, and runs about as fast as an arthritic sloth. People are now starting to look for new excuses. The new coach is holding the team back. The WRs drop the ball too much. Mean fans are hurting Emily Mayfield's feelings and it's having an effect on Baker's play. The truth is, there's a bottleneck at the QB position. We have a Superbowl caliber roster, and a QB that is limiting what we can do with it. Baker Mayfield is the best QB we have had in twenty years ....and people are desperate to defend him. I get it.

Against the Steelers on Sunday we witnessed something we try really hard to ignore. Baker throwing high and hard the majority of the game. While throwing from the pocket, Baker not only can't see most of the field, but he throws his trademark bullets high enough to get over the defenders standing between he and his receiver. This just doesn't work, as the trajectory of these bullets leave them high and often behind his mark. A difficult ask of WRs, TEs, and RBs. You'll have player fans on twitter showing slow motion replays of a ball going through Hooper's hand, and calling anyone who dares criticize Baker a "mouth breather", but in reality Hooper was at the top of his jump, arms outstretched to the max, trying to reel in a high, hard, and behind football. Could have easily been a walk in touchdown instead... a bad pass. A QB could normally avoid this by putting some touch on the ball, a little arc, or air under it ....but Baker doesn't seem to have that gear.

hoopermiss.PNG

Mayfield throughout his entire career has made a cottage industry of rolling to his right. It seems to be the one thing he is great at. The problem is, when you are a one-trick pony, other teams game-plan to take that trick away from you. Baker has rolled right and attempted to pass a total of 6 times this year. Think about that in relation to each year prior. Teams have forced Baker into the pocket, the Steelers literally dared the Browns to pass practically the entire game. How is it working out?

WC_Browns_play_action.gif

Fourth quarter, and another chance to win a game. Most of us knew what was going to happen didn't we? We have held onto hope, praying that the light would go on, that Baker would make wholesale changes, and he would become the Browns franchise QB ...someone we could count on to put the team on his back and lead us to victory with the game on the line. What we have got in reality is a QB that is 33 of 62, with 4 TDs and 5 INTS. Sam Darnold is the only QB as bad as Mayfield with the game on the line since 2018. Mayfield's passing rating with the game on the line is 61.3 and the Browns are 3-11 in these scenarios.

Mosley.gif

Kevin Stefanski was hired to reign in Mayfield's erratic tendencies. Stefanski's offense tends to turn average QBs into statistical wonders, (Case Keenum) and perhaps limit some players at certain positions, like a downfield QB and burner WR for example. Some argue that Stefanski has taken Mayfield's gunslinger aura away from him, which while true is also the reason why Baker has become far less prone to interceptions. The dink and dunk offense with numerous screens and TE heavy route trees certainly makes a QB look good on paper at times ...but who is Baker Mayfield without the ability to roll out on play action and plant bombs down the field? Certainly these are often 50/50 bombs, but they do add to what an opposing defense has to worry about. Mayfield has 10 completions of 20 or more yards this season ...20th in the league. Recall Stefon Diggs having the same issue that OBJ is currently having in the Stefanski offense. He moved on to the Bills and is back to all-pro form. I suspect OBJ will do the same for some other team.

hi-res-fb20a37f4de5b9034aec8d34c1c44bbd_crop_north.jpg

In short, we have no vertical passing attack, while employing one of the very best WR tandems in the game, and one of the fastest WRs in the league in Schwartz. Did the Browns hire the right coach? If you believe analytics and going by the book is usually right, then yes. If you believe in coaches who base decisions on the ebb and flow of the game, their "gut" as it were, then no. We are the worst team in the league at going for it on 4th down. Analytics got us there.

We could have had Canton native and lifelong Browns fan Josh McDaniels.

giphy.gif

So where are we now? A Superbowl caliber roster, with an extremely limited QB, and a coach who can only go by the book, apparently not capable of harnessing whatever "elite" trait Mayfield may have, if he has one at all. Playoffs this season ...not likely. Our Superbowl window is open for only a short while ...without the Browns front office doing something extremely out of character (see, ballsy) like going after a Watson, Wilson, or Rogers ...I don't see us going anywhere.

BrownsWithoutOBJ_AP_Ringer.jpg

(yes another QB thread)

Last edited:
Its just a link .. LMFAO! too much man for it? dont watch
Ive written plenty to work with,thats your comeback defending baker? pathetic.

hes baked his team mates,he's baked the fans and hes baked the media. he's bakin up a storm man!
an If he doesnt come out throwing fire in baltimore? his mofo contract and maybe his career will be baked too!
well,I guess Im a baker hater now. I wasn't until he did this sh&t.you're talking about girly?that sh&t they just did is fu&king girly.
I still want him playing here until the end of 2022.the question is,does he want to play here?
because hes getting booed in cleveland. guaranteed.

Last edited:

Baker Mayfield on being booed by Browns fans​

I owe an apology. I called Baker a poor man's Andy Dalton. My apologies to the Red Rifle for that one. Andy was at least a leader in his prime. Baker is a thin skinned bitch, straight up. He is actually a poor man's Jay Cutler, a fucking crybaby who can't back his arrogance and entitlement attitude up on the field.

I was willing to give him a chance with a new HC and GM but nah, send him out the door directly behind George Michaels.

The Baker hate is strong these days.

I was never 100% in and I’m not 100% out. I wish we could have seen a healthy Baker for a good part of the season. Too bad he tried to tackle a safety after an interception week 2.

Lmao! Baker hate? Bakers slap in the face of Browns fans world wide who dare boo Him for his crappy play and it’s Baker hate? I think we should be calling it fan hate based on his comments…….
Yeah, that was super stupid(calling out the fans). However, I’m shocked that people are shocked.

People loved his fiery / cocky / me against the world / I don’t care about anything attitude. Go figure he doesn’t care about them. He already told them that, some just blindly followed. That said, I just want football and he has been an above average quarterback. He can be that again, maybe, if healthy.

Last edited:
What I find most disappointing is that he didn't address the media on Sunday, chose to take a full day to formulate something to tell his fans via the media on Monday and all he could come up with is that? He isn't 16 years old and new to the limelight. He has been prepping for this kind of pressure for a very long time and was picked #1 OVERALL in the NFL draft.
It feels like he always has to have an enemy to keep the chip on his shoulder consistent. Not being recruited, walking on at Oklahoma, engaging with Cowherd, engaging with Tony now he is biting the hand that feeds him - his Hometown fanclub.
I thought he was brighter than this.

Yeah, that was super stupid(calling out the fans). However, I’m shocked that people are shocked.

People loved his fiery / cocky / me against the world / I don’t care about anything attitude. Go figure he doesn’t care about them. He already told them that, some just blindly followed. That said, I just want football and he has been an above average quarterback. He can be that again, maybe, if healthy.
No one is shocked. This was all predictable. Baker is just barely above a .500 quarter back. Which spells out barely above mediocre and not above average.

I think I read he boasts a less than .500 record against teams with a winning record which puts him in the below average category against winning teams. He’s been in the league long enough now to see who he really is. Now his true colors are starting to shine through. This team is loaded with talent. And yet he has difficulty winning games. Excuse time is over.

As I’ve said many times before, prove it on the field…….

No one is shocked. This was all predictable. Baker is just barely above a .500 quarter back. Which spells out barely above mediocre and not above average.

I think I read he boasts a less than .500 record against teams with a winning record which puts him in the below average category against winning teams. He’s been in the league long enough now to see who he really is. Now his true colors are starting to shine through. This team is loaded with talent. And yet he has difficulty winning games. Excuse time is over.

As I’ve said many times before, prove it on the field…….

I was referring to your LMAO fan hate rant. Not sure how anyone didn’t see this coming. It’s who he is. What most people liked about him. Not me, maybe why I’m not surprised.
Lmao! Baker hate? Bakers slap in the face of Browns fans world wide who dare boo Him for his crappy play and it’s Baker hate? I think we should be calling it fan hate based on his comments…….

Bakers performance is a whole another discussion. I agree it’s questionable. Wish he wouldn’t have tried to tackle a safety week 2. Another questionable Baker moment.

Edit: Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited:
His cause may have been helped if the pass catchers caught ... Passes..... Which.. They did NOT!... Njoku was embarrassing yesterday...
Are you referring to him making a great catch on the under thrown ball for a TD....

Baker's cause would be helped if he could read a D, did not panic at the first sign of any pressure, and could keep his eyes up field

Top Bottom