Pick 52 ... Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame | Page 3 | Barking Hard

Pick 52 ... Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

FYI JOK himself on Building the Browns said the coaches are training him at weakside lb.
Well if they stay true to that as his only spot (it is May so a lot can change between now and September) he won't be on the field in a 4-2-5 nickel personnel grouping. He would only be on the field in a 3-3-5 nickel set. But I expect to see him getting time in 1 and 2 LB sets to cover receiving TEs, assuming he can at the NFL level. Otherwise the pick makes very little sense.

to cover receiving TEs,
exactly, but he cant do that from the weakside can he? thats why hes a SS player.he will cover the TE/slot from the strong side.
playing him at will (usually the short side of the field) doesnt really make sense to me.
master - we dont play 3 LB usually ok? so the sam,mike,will doesnt apply to our scheme.
ur trying really hard to school me but you dont even admit T2 is a defensive formation.
did you even watch any football games last year to see the D to know what I mean?

exactly, but he cant do that from the weakside can he? thats why hes a SS player.he will cover the TE/slot from the strong side.
playing him at will (usually the short side of the field) doesnt really make sense to me.
master - we dont play 3 LB usually ok? so the sam,mike,will doesnt apply to our scheme.
ur trying really hard to school me but you dont even admit T2 is a defensive formation.
did you even watch any football games last year to see the D to know what I mean?
I will start with the bit you quoted. My full statement was " But I expect to see him getting time in 1 and 2 LB sets to cover receiving TEs, assuming he can at the NFL level". That's going to be nickel (any defensive personnel grouping with 5 DBs on the field is a type of nickel package) or a dime package (any defensieve personnel grouping with 6 DBs on the field). So he is not going to be in the slot covering WRs as you implied earlier. CLE is not going to be having JOK covering WRs out of the slot, unless they are running some kind of zone blitz where one of the two LBs in a 4-2-5 personnel package has to rotate over to cover a zone vacated by the blitzing DB, or the WR comes across the zone they are responsible for if running a zone coverage.

I am familiar with the tampa 2 defensive scheme. That is a scheme run out of a 4-3 defensive personnel grouping. It is similar to a cover 2 scheme, with the difference being if the MIKE reads pass he drops in to a deep zone like a cover 3 scheme. I am a bit confused by you even bringing up the tampa 2 after stating CLE doesn't play 3 LBs usually. A bit of a contradiction there since the tampa 2 is run out of a 4-3 personnel grouping. CLE like most NFL teams at this point spend more time in nickel personnel groupings since offense play more 11 personnel groupings

This scheme also allows flexibility. It can start out looking like a nickle pre snap and morph into a dime or 4-3 simply by moving the third safety into a LB position or moving a LB into a DB position after the snap.
Studying Matt Damon GIF by MIRAMAX

This scheme also allows flexibility. It can start out looking like a nickle pre snap and morph into a dime or 4-3 simply by moving the third safety into a LB position or moving a LB into a DB position after the snap.
Studying Matt Damon GIF by MIRAMAX
CLE could certainly run schemes/coverages normally used in nickel or dime packages with 3 LBs (JOK being one of them) out of the 4-3 personnel. But it's not going to look like nickel (by definition has 5 DBs on the field) or dime (by definition is 6 DBs on the field). Or the other way when in nickel or dime packages run some 4-3 scheme/coverage, but won't look like 4-3 (by definition is 3 LBs on the field). We are not going to see 3 LBs on the field when offenses are in 3 or more WR sets unless there was a blunder in substituting

I was stating from our base package, which is truly a nickle, we can flex either up or down and that things will be disguised. No more easy pre snap reads by opposition QB's when a certain payer is substituted into the game.

I was stating from our base package, which is truly a nickle, we can flex either up or down and that things will be disguised. No more easy pre snap reads by opposition QB's when a certain payer is substituted into the game.
If the O is in 22 or other personnel groupings with less than 3 wr sure, there could be a bit of disguise of the coverage scheme being run.

Short yardage formations are specifically designed to stop the run and probably exclude the nickle if the offense is lining up in 22. That would be ballsy to run a nickle defense against a 22 formation though.

Short yardage formations are specifically designed to stop the run and probably exclude the nickle if the offense is lining up in 22. That would be ballsy to run a nickle defense against a 22 formation though.
This is my bad. I was thinking out of the base 4-3 personnel and running schemes used in the nickel. If running nickel personnel yeah not likely to have that on the field against 22 personnel, unless using a safety as the other Xtra DB

With nickel personnel on the field not a whole lot to disguise. But I guess if the O personnel is 3 WR you could show 4-3 formations out of the nickel personnel. But not sure that's going to do much unless using a safety as as the extra DB for nickel personnel. But usually you see one of the LBs become a safety, and really are in dime personnel

Last edited:
MANY websites refer to tampa2 as a formation.ok? I can link you.

Technically, the Tampa 2 is ran out of the 4-3. The MLB's job is to read the play and drop back into coverage if it's a pass play. The Tampa 2 does typically use small, faster LB's because of the coverage responsibilities.

My hope is that Woods doesn't waste JOK's versatility and misuse him like Arizona did Simmons.

Technically, the Tampa 2 is ran out of the 4-3. The MLB's job is to read the play and drop back into coverage if it's a pass play. The Tampa 2 does typically use small, faster LB's because of the coverage responsibilities.

My hope is that Woods doesn't waste JOK's versatility and misuse him like Arizona did Simmons.

I give woods till game 10 of the season.. If he's still not got his shit together.. They can him right then and there

I give woods till game 10 of the season.. If he's still not got his shit together.. They can him right then and there

Woods wasn't the problem last year. The problem was that we lost our starting DT (Billings) to COVID before the season; we had injuries all over DE; our LB's weren't good; we had a to us a MASH unit at DB all season long. Woods was forced to use smoke & mirrors to make it through the season. Woods is a good DC and we will see a much better unit with health and actual talent this season.

Woods wasn't the problem last year. The problem was that we lost our starting DT (Billings) to COVID before the season; we had injuries all over DE; our LB's weren't good; we had a to us a MASH unit at DB all season long. Woods was forced to use smoke & mirrors to make it through the season. Woods is a good DC and we will see a much better unit with health and actual talent this season.

Uhmmm No he's NOT!..

please do
"Another big difference between the Tampa 2 and other similar formations"
and
"That’s the entire idea behind the formation."

The Tampa 2 defense is a formation that is named appropriately for a specific team’s approach to defense.

Much like the “46 Defense” was named after the stout defense of the 1985 Chicago Bears, the Tampa 2 defense was named after the defense that the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers ran in the late 1990s.

Tampa head coach Tony Dungy and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin created what is now known as the Tampa 2 defense as a way to modify the traditional Cover 2 defense for the West Coast Offense.

Tampa 2 Defense Football Coaching Guide (Includes Images)

Top Bottom