Free Agency - The salary cap thread | Page 5 | Barking Hard

Free Agency The salary cap thread

Another run at the 2023 math.

If the Cleveland Browns were to restructure Deshaun Watson, Myles Garrett, and Amari Cooper in 2023, they could free up to $61.428 million in salary cap space.

Source: DBN

Orlando Brown Jr is projected to get 22mil in free agency next year. He'll probably get more than that. We're likely out of the running at that price.

It might be wise to keep Wills for one more year on his rookie deal. I've seen our PS has gone through a few Tackles. I think the FO is trying to find at least a suitable LT to develop after Wills. Whether it's next year or 2024 is the question.

I just checked the Browns depth chart and James Hudson III is the backup as we speak, but I thought he played OK at RT last year.

Been saying the Watson contract is not going to be a problem. I also think CLE knew this was likely not really a year they could make a real run, and that next year they'd have the money and opportunities to make moves to significantly improve the DT position. But we shall see

No idea how it all works. Does the fully guaranteed have anything to do with it?
No. But they can always redo it to turn salary to bonus to spread it out longer, and kick the can. There is also the cap roll over which CLE has been doing for a while. The other is the cap increases. The cap is expected to keep increasing by large amounts over the next several years under the CBA, and the latest TV deals (along with Sunday ticket). The Watson deal, other than guaranteed part, is going to look like a bargain by the start of the 2024 season. In the NFL landscape Burrow and Herbert will be up for new deals after this season (I know they have 5th year options, but they'll get extensions). Those will go above Watson for annual salary/cap hit.

No. But they can always redo it to turn salary to bonus to spread it out longer, and kick the can. There is also the cap roll over which CLE has been doing for a while. The other is the cap increases. The cap is expected to keep increasing by large amounts over the next several years under the CBA, and the latest TV deals (along with Sunday ticket). The Watson deal, other than guaranteed part, is going to look like a bargain by the start of the 2024 season. In the NFL landscape Burrow and Herbert will be up for new deals after this season (I know they have 5th year options, but they'll get extensions). Those will go above Watson for annual salary/cap hit.
Eventually, like the Chiefs, we're going to lose talent. The question is whether Watson will be able to overcome it, like Mahomes. The Bengals are going to be great until they pay Joe Burrow the big bucks, as are the Bills. But the cap does matter, and the piper will have to be paid. Unfortunately, we traded the Watson pick to the Texans and didn't get to reap the benefit of a cheap franchise QB, so our chances to win big with Watson diminish over time.

Top Bottom