The Offensive Line | Page 34 | Barking Hard

The Offensive Line

Callahan mostly seemed to shut that down, only discussed Hubbard as a high-end swing tackle. I was curious about that possibility too... but I think we're expecting a competition that isn't really happening in Callahan's mind.

I feel like knows his starting five.

I thought Callahan mentioned in one of those Zoom sessions that the RG spot is open. He rattled off a bunch of names and added there always seems to be a guy nobody sees coming who takes the job. Or very similar to that.

But yeah, 4 of the 5 spots no doubt as he also said he has no problem starting a guy like Wills when he's been drafted that high. There are expectations for those guys and he has NP starting them right from the rip.

So what was with the recent heat for Jason Peters? Was that legit - where’d it come from?!

It would only make sense if coaches are concerned there won’t be enough training time with Callahan for Jedrick Wills to get up to speed at LT to start the season.

I think CLE is eyeing the excess Cap money they’ll have and are looking to sink it into very short-term deals.

Now that we passed on expensive Trent Williams, we totally have enough $$$ for CLOWNEY, BRADHAM, keeping VERNON, and signing the likes of Jason Peters & others. Pure Luxury CLE is looking at now.

Money was only going to get half ass close to CAP if we added
Clowney @$17M
Trent W @$19M
kept OV @$15M
and Bradham @$5-8M

Now- take that ~$20M to Trent off the table.... and that’s the kind of $$$ we can blow after signing Clowney and Bradham!

$20-25M
AFTER signing Clowney & Bradham

We could & should be talking Trade

U can see why I was excited
Strapped Chiefs have dominant Chris Jones only on Franchise Tag (sometimes ends up Traded)

Rams could look for relief to rebuild, moving an expensive piece like Jalen Ramsey or Aaron Donald.

I know we tried and had talks with DEN over Von Miller this time last offseason. They’re pretty surely going to want to see how far they can go still with Von
But if Lock does not look like their answer at QB, they may cash in on moving Miller, deciding to take a lil’ longer approach to the ‘build’ job Elway is doing.

Peters thing seems agent generated. Feels like Browns have kept the phone lines open and that's about it. Insiders have suggested as much. They fully plan to start Wills in the opener.

This week’s BTB has some Wills stuff. He looks like he nailed the combine interview. Callahan challenged him on a blocking explanation, and Wills shot right back with the answer, impressing BC.

He’s quick minded.

Shep, you gotta get on the last two BTB’s. Both very good. Harrison Bryant, Wills, and DJP parts were great today.

Bryant has his own rapid-learning method that’s fun.

Last edited:
This week’s BTB has some Wills stuff. He looks like he nailed the combine interview. Callahan challenged him on a blocking explanation, and Wills shot right back with the answer, impressing BC.

He’s quick minded.

So, so, so, so impressive.

Every breakdown I watched on Wills always had someone point out that Wills does his homework, watches film and has a phenomenal feel for football. You could see Callahan light up at the way Wills was answering questions.

The kid seems to have the goods. Impressing everyone with your football IQ at this stage of your career seldom ends badly.

It was also great to see Joe Thomas fawning over him. It's almost weird - Wills should be the one gushing over arguably the greatest tackle in NFL history. Not the other way around. And Joe Thomas LOVED the top of this class, but he seems to think Wills stands out as special.

Psyched. Can't believe I'm still making the mental transition to the concept that Apple TV IS a computer, basically. I remember having to do more from my iPad or laptop when we first got it, now that seems quaint.

I’d sign Peters for depth, even if Father Time is calling
he isn’t ready to pick up the phone and Wills could feed
on his experience-, for me especially after last season we
can not afford weakness or depth from us imposing our will
on opposing defenses. Our skill set should make defenses shit there
pants at the thought of a OBJ LANDRY NJOKU HOOPER CHUBB
HUNT and our main man HIGGINS!!!
Mayfield is going to make believers of all of us this year!

Forbes is a sick athlete, fits this scheme extremely well, maybe have maxed his value even higher. But Teller fits perfectly too... and has that nasty streak and monkey strength. Just feels like a RG to me.

Some nice depth and competition.

This is really good to hear. And the standard answer may be "Well, duh - of course he is gonna say that. Did you expect something different?" Well, not really, but - some athletes have shown to be prima donnas and major dicks.

Good to see we have some of the good guys.....

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Browns</a> center and NFLPA president JC Tretter on new tackles: Jedrick Wills is a bright kid and excited to work. Jack Conklin is perfect fit, has talked to him a bunch.</p>— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1262833780223619081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 19, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp>

It's the one real job that is wide open on the offensive side. I really have no idea who it will be until I see some pre season games. I'm betting on strongman Teller after Callahan coaches him up.

I liked the recent BTB where it showed Wills all fired up after blocking some poor sap into oblivion. I love seeing OLinemen being physical and dominating the opposition. Combine that with the physical Nick Chubb and this offense has potential to be a dominant physical force in the NFL. Njoku should get in the OLine room when he can and practice with those guys. It'll only make him better.

Maybe this is a little early to be posting this - OK sue me......

Here's a stud that would be an asset to the Browns even if Teller and/or Forbes work out in 2020......

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The most valuable guard returning to college football in 2020:<br><br>Ohio State's Wyatt Davis <a href="https://t.co/gNdKSr9lOb">pic.twitter.com/gNdKSr9lOb</a></p>— PFF College (@PFF_College) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1264201921025327106?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp>

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><twitter-widget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1264201921025327106"></twitter-widget> <script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp>His grandpa knew a thing or two about the NFL. The recently departed Hall of Fame DE from the Green bay Packers- - Willie Davis.
<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.2a008290075125adde2d7b849b06a0bb.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barkinghard.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.2a008290075125adde2d7b849b06a0bb.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barkinghard.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
Chubb, Hunt, OBJ, Landry, Higgins,Hooper, Njoku and FB Jano.
Fantastic skill set, with the right system in place nobody can
touch us. On Paper!
RG should be a good battle and the line has never looked this good.
So there isn’t the SB hype machine we got last year and for those
who lived through 2019, this year we will be in the top five offenses
in the league.
Kinda see us like the Chiefs in 2018 great offense but there D was
average, 2019 they won it all.
Playoffs aren’t a dirty word this year, but anything better than 8-8
and a firm plan in place from Depodesta to the ball boy we will
be a force and impossible to stop.

Maybe this is a little early to be posting this - OK sue me......

Here's a stud that would be an asset to the Browns even if Teller and/or Forbes work out in 2020......

^^^for sure^^^

We’re going to be mock-drafting guards, LB’s, and Vernon’s replacement for the next 11 months.

And he should be right in our first round wheelhouse. Mid round or later (I hope!)

I know goofy things always happen in the draft, but I really don't see Wyatt being available in the second round.

We HAVE to draft him - I mean, c'mon - when was the last time that an NFL team had two guys, playing the same position with the same unusual first name?

Save that one, you may be able to win many a beer in a bar with that trivia question.....

I'm gonna stay out of mocking guards because we just drafted Nick Harris and feel like he's a steal... and I don't think he has a chance of beating out Wyatt Teller. I really think Teller's gonna be filling that spot for a long while.

Forbes? He's a wild card, terrific athlete, really fits this scheme. But I get the feeling from everything Callahan has said that the line is pretty damn set and they like it.

I think we'll have a SF/Minn offense this season, but better because of the talent. I agree, should be top five in just about every category. And if we can have the precise mean defense, we'd win 11 games, maybe 12... because that's mostly how it's done these days.

And we have quite a lot of serious talent on defense, and filled in the nagging holes. I totally believe we'll have a solid, respectable defense. If we get Clowney and Bradham, I adjust up to top 10 because it all starts on the DL and we'd have one of the best in the NFL.

Why not?

LARRY WARFORD, GUARD

After making the last three Pro Bowls, Warford was cut by New Orleans earlier this month; the Saints drafted Cesar Ruiz in the first round as his obvious successor at right guard. New Orleans also saved $7 million on the salary cap by releasing Warford. He immediately became the most enticing offensive lineman on the market, and will likely find a starting spot.

A pro bowl RG is on the market as we have Teller as our best option now.
I’ll take him.

Top Bottom